Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just painting my buddies damaged fender. He didn't even want me to high build primer it, only epoxy primered, base/clear. Turned out good and laid well, but would have laid a little flatter. Whole car needs a repaint as it was in primer for 10 years and no metal treatment after sanding/stripping.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Looking good , Johnny . . . . (y)? . . . . and, Happy 2020 to you .

How u liking this new (site) Look ?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good , Johnny . . . . (y)? . . . . and, Happy 2020 to you .

How u liking this new (site) Look ?
Thanks Jim, you know us older guys don't like too much change(lol). Gotten used to it and like it though. A big old Happy New Years to You and Family as well.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work!
Thanks jd, it'll work for what he's doing. Definitely better than the rest of the car as it has some underlying issues. It was in primer for 10 years then no metal prep once they stripped it and painted it a few years ago.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
EdyJ, I used a 1.4 I believe for base and clear. This car needs painting as it was left in primer for 10 years or so the way he talked. Waste of time and money to do that. I never prime a car or start bodywork unless I'm committed and stay at it till I paint it. I also never leave any parts in raw metal without epoxy primer and only have a time or two till the next day as I knew the guy/shop. Anything I strip today gets primer today is my rule. I used my buddies 3 package of HVLP spray guns from Home Depot that he bought for $80. I have a new set, but if when I use them it will be on my Nova(lol). These work well though and paint laid down good enough. Would have laid better if he had brought me some high build which was on my list of paint and supplies. He told me the paint store is putting it all together and didn't need a list. No high build primer, no stir sticks, no strainers, no cleanup thinner which were all on my list. He has his Grandfathers C10 that he wants to go thru it the right way and spend some bucks, this car he just wants it road worthy and looking halfway descent. Shop that painted it we believe stripped it which was a good deal, sent it out to Maaco and got a good paint then brought it back in and cut/bufffed it. If they had used metal treatment(Oshpo I prefer/use) it would have gotten the tiny low spots which held rust and are now popping up like pimples all under the paint. They didn't tape or remove the windshield chrome and they sprayed right over the window weatherstripping which should have been taken off and replaced with new. Painted all the way up and on the chrome strip in the window weatherstripping and cleared over it too they did. They started out and attacked it in the right manner, but failed in the end leaving those pieces on the car.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got thru with my buddies 71 Nova. Painted and replaced front fender, new bumpers, grill and rear SS panel, new ball joints, new front brakes, wheel cylinders and master cylinder as it was locked up. Rebuilt Edelbrock carburtetor and tuned engine as it was all out of whack and it was new without many miles at all. Runs great and he drove it home around the corner. He is doing an oil change, replacing temp. gauge, and trimming rear quarter wheel well lip on passenger side. Earned me a tip and he gave me a Snap On metric tap/die set as I'm working on a Honda CRF70 and need to rethread spark plug threads in the head and put it back together.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Looks great (y)
I think your buddy is very luck to have a friend like you.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great (y)
I think your buddy is very luck to have a friend like you.
Thanks Rif, my other buddy lives right down the road also and I did his 383 for him some 5+ years ago;

1 - 10 of 10 Posts