Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Im about to get a free used Comp XE 274H ( http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=87&sb=2 ) with lifters. It was in a 383 and apparently wasnt used very long. The guy has got a VERY nice 64 that he races and I if I remember right it runs high 10's. He's also got a few other cars and obviously isnt hurting for money. Talked to him at a local show and then saw him again tonight and he said its just been sitting on his garage shelf waiting for someone that would need a cam. Should I go ahead and use it or could I run into problems?
My set up sitting in the garage is Vortec 062 heads with .100" longer valves with stiffer springs (110 pounds of seat pressure) stock bottom end, air gap intake, 670 street avenger. I will be getting a new torque converter and 2004r but havent decided on gears yet. Currently running a th-350 with 2.73 gears. What do you think?

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have ran used cams before with out problems. as long as the lobes dont have any damage to them it should be fine. also if the lifters have not been indexed properly (marked so that the same lifter rides on the same lobe) i would not run the used lifters. buy new ones and you should be safe.

P.S. that is a good sounding little cam and in your combo should run good. but i would step the gear up to at least a 3.40 and if you get the OD i would go 3.73.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Cross your fingers and it runs right from the get-go otherwise I'd always be thinking "I wonder if it's that used cam I put in"

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would not,for the cost of a flat tappet today why bother.I reused a cam in my BBC when i refreshed the motor(marked all the lifters) cam was fine,installed new springs and took out 4 lobes.The cam must have been broken-in with low spring pressure and all i remember is my machine shop saying "how is the cam in the motor" as i had to refresh the entire motor again:(

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
the fact the cam is used I would not see any problem.

As for as the application and cam. That cam will sound good. Thats about it. I have never been impressed with Comp standard grinds. (JUST ME)

It's free, if it's does not work out, all you have lost is a few gaskets and time.

Who knows, this could be your magical combination.!!!!

Al

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
go for it...just make sure the lifters are indexed to the lobes.bm

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I've installed used cams before, like everyone said, keep the lifters in order or buy a new set:yes: It has always worked for me with no problems:yes:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I ran that cam in a 79 Z with a 406 Eld performer RPM Alum heads ,roller tip rockers, Air Gap intake, MSD 6al,T-350 with 3.73 gears,Holly race shop 750. Camaro would run 12.4`s to 12.6`s all day and still had the PS PDB Pwr windows tilt etc. Has everyone else has already stated I would use the lifters if they are matched to the lobes but if not new ones are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Well for me NO. I think of using a used cam like using used underwear. Just seems funky. No prob for me taking a used engine though.. But a used cam (which new cams really are cheap ) just feels odd. Its a consumable item, not to be re-used... JR

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well for me NO. I think of using a used cam like using used underwear. Just seems funky. No prob for me taking a used engine though.. But a used cam (which new cams really are cheap ) just feels odd. Its a consumable item, not to be re-used... JR
I'm with you!! The only time I tried a used cam, I lost a lobe. Used new direct oil solid lifters from Howards and additive for the break in. I think maybe it was a break in issue from the previous owner, because I have ran several different cams in this block before without issue. Motor is out now and getting a freshen up.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts