Chevy Nova Forum banner

Oldsmobile Omega 1973 rebuild with Pontiac ohc 6 230ci 4bbl/sprint

48K views 429 replies 36 participants last post by  Twinshadows 
#1 · (Edited)
As the design is more or less final I'll start a rebuild documentation of my project "Francis".

I asked Bruce Kaiser from Kaisercarart to get some renderings done on my ideas.

Attachments

See less See more
#37 ·
before I break down the Omega I would like to drive her and visit some shows and US car events here in Austria.

So I wonder what to do best and maybe give the inline 6 a bit more power?
replace all liquids (engine and transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant)
new spark plugs and ignition wires
HEI Distributor
brake pads/shoes
fuel filter and oil filter

odometer shows 43596

any other inexpensive performance gains or recommendations to take care of?

#39 ·
I'll need your advice!

I bought the book “American Cars, 1973-1980, Every Model, Year by Year” and learned that form the Olds Omega 1973 only 26,126 cars and 1974 already with some updates on bumpers and grill 27,075 cars were produced.

The Omega is almost in initial delivery setup and numbers are ok.
So I more and more question myself if this LS swap and all other modification I planned will honor this car as it should do? My oldest daughters opinion is to keep it as original as possible. However in Austria it will be a real rarity on the street. This exact model is therefor listed on the list of worth preserving vintage cars of the Austria federal ministry of transport! And if I will have an Austrian title as a vintage car than anyhow will be forced to keep it in the original conditions.

Than I maybe only will have the S package from 74 installed – lowering the car about 1,5” with the rally suspension and the sport bucket seats.

What would you do?

#43 ·
With production numbers that low you may have to modify it just to keep it going.. Novas probably had the biggest production numbers of the X body platform Buick, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile probably had similarly lower production numbers. Rare cars are hard to find parts for and when you do find them they usually aren’t cheap.. I have a 65 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S. It was a 2 year body style, has similarly low production numbers, and not really any reproduction parts to speak of so parts are not easy to come by.. Ford Mustangs were made by the millions and their parts grow on trees by comparison..

Attachments

#45 ·
.... Hi there exotec ...... :D

Karl .....

I'm watching You ......

jim

#47 ·
the SS wheels are back from the paint shop and I started polishing the trim, 2 rings need to be replaced - will not be as shiny as I would like them to be

Wheel bezels polished

and finally - what a journey - the Omega will show up in my garage on Thursday

#48 · (Edited)
Hi Karl

Just for some different reading -- and , keeping the GM 6 cylinder motor --- Look what These Guys have done :

Check out .

hbanger -- his Nova Wagon 250ci , I 6 , with a 4 speed …. very cool

theycallmelarmie -- his 63 Nova 250ci , I 6 , with his fresh rebuild …
………… and , nice head-work , with the "Lump-ports" installed.

Brooksey -- Working on his Nova I 6 , installing the "Sniper - Holley 2bbl EFI system" . That will be very cool …. work in progress.

onecarnut -- Lou in Arkansas -- his 68 Nova with 250ci , I 6 , Has always been a very nice "stand-out" car. Nice driver .

bigallis -- a '69 Nova , 250ci, I 6 , stock 3 speed trans , with A/C , and very clean stock --- sharp looking original appearance. Good driver Nova.

or --- bluenova667 -- his 67 Nova , 250 , "Turbo 6" , still in-the-works turbo-motor , and
'Build thread'

And, I'm sure there are more Guys Keeping their GM 6's ….

Plus, BaroneDog -- with his very Nice Nova wagon …. going with his
292 'Turbo' six install .

jim

#54 ·
Nice project! Love that you are tilting at the Olds, and it looks like you started with something nice.

As for the drum, I've never seen one like that. Haven't seen that many weights tied to any drum anywhere, and it would make me suspicious not only about the original casting but how centered it was when it was machined, and if the drum is in balance even now. If not, that would be more than enough to throw off a wheel balance.

A friend of mine who builds VWs and often does show car-level work balances both the drum and the wheel at the same time, and indexes the wheel to the hub and drum. Sounded a little much to me when he first mentioned it, but with very little power and skinny 15 inch tires, those little cars need all the help they can get. And I have driven one of the cars he has done this to, and it drives dead on.