Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Alrighty then … Karl

This OHC motor looks (from the one picture) too be very complete … and, that is a good thing.

That will be better than buying just a 250 'bare block' ….. meaning -- if there is no "parts sticking through th' block -or- any major parts missing"
then it should be re-buildable. Plus, that engine should fit into a 3rd gen type car rather well.

Can you look for a Number beside the dist. ?

Keep us posted , on your work …. jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
frontframe is back from sandblasting and powdercoating!

turned out quite nice.

Hope I can finish rebuild the front suspension during the Christmas brake

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Hi Karl . . . . a very Nice 'complete motor for u'r Omega' .

I had one of those " Just Like That " . . . in a 67 FireBird . . . . same engine with a 'factory 4 speed' . At first , my engine ran somewhat bad - - it ended up as a bad cam on the
number one cylinder . So, I just went too my 'local Pontiac dealer' ( R.O. Evans Pontiac , NorthWest Highway & Garland Road, Dallas, Texas . . . across from the old Garland Airport ) .
But , I bought a New Cam and one cam follower (maybe two followers) , a new ' cam drive belt ' and just put it back together. My motor still wouldn't run just "right" . Changed out a couple of different carb's . . . . then, just messing around . . . . I checked the ' timing ' - - - - 'it was way off ( but, started good ,and, never spit or popped back) . the p.o. had the timing way off - - after that . . . . that OHC Motor RAN GREAT , from then on. I had taken the Car out , after setting the correct timing . . . . and , ran through th' gears . . . . stopping at a
quarter car wash (remember those, back in-th' day) . When, I got into the 'car wash' ; up pulls a local 'Garland Cop' , he was going too nail me for "speeding" .
Just saying, after getting that OHC motor going Good , it always ran great . (and, I never over-hauled it ..... just ran it that way) .
Good Buy . . . and, I like that it has 'everything still on the engine' . . . that's a big plus .

Keep going . . . and, Thanks for posting . . . we're still following . . . . jim

(ps - I never got that 'speeding ticket' - - - - turns out , I went too High School with that Garland Cop . He let me go ) . . . thanks for th' memories .

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
a cool looking ohv 6. i do remember seeing those in the cars of my friends. the 6 with the manuel tranny is going to be fun driving those hilly curvy roads of Austria. i remeber cooking a 4 speed clutch on one of those mnts. near salzburg.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
also, Karl . . . . if you check u'r 4bbl intake ? If it's 'Alumn' (I think it is) . . . you can look at my ' OFFY alumn intake' . . . you can see that I painted my intake .

you can look back at ( on here at post # 48 and look at hbanger's post) . . . look at Brian's OFFY Alunm Intake (he did not paint his intake) . . . . by painting those intakes - - - just help's keep them cleaner . You can ' paint them or have them 'power coated' . . . just keeps them easier to keep clean looking . I'm thinking that you will really like the OHC engine ;
plus , it will sure look sharp in your OLDS . I'm just talking , out loud .. . . . . . thanks for posting ; . . . . jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Intake and exhaust manifold will be POR15 velvet black, block and head Oldsmobile gold, valve cover will be polished and between the fins velvet black, around the letters Olds gold. Should look gorgeous!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Hey Karl . . .

Look at your picture in post # 64 - - - your upper a-arm Nuts holding your arm bushings . I'm just asking - - - Are Those 'Nuts Holding the Washers" . . . . are those nuts ----
---- Lock - Nuts ? ? .

Looking really Good , later , jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
some progress here. Pontiac ohc6 is in the motor shop and I'm currently ordering all required parts for the overhaul.

Found the missing timing belt cover an used my homeoffice since 1 week to polish it - its ok, but for sure far away from perfect.

Upholstery shop has some available time, so I made a draft of how it could look like with the front bench seat. all Porsche 911 material as this is easy available and does look quite similar to the orig. Oldsmobile staff.

What do you think?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts