Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Do what makes you happy, my car was bought brand new by my grandfather but that dosent stop me from modifying it to meet my expectations.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
With production numbers that low you may have to modify it just to keep it going.. Novas probably had the biggest production numbers of the X body platform Buick, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile probably had similarly lower production numbers. Rare cars are hard to find parts for and when you do find them they usually aren’t cheap.. I have a 65 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S. It was a 2 year body style, has similarly low production numbers, and not really any reproduction parts to speak of so parts are not easy to come by.. Ford Mustangs were made by the millions and their parts grow on trees by comparison..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
.... Hi there exotec ...... :D

Karl .....

I'm watching You ......

jim

·
Registered
947 Posts
Bruce Kaiser finished the design - I love!
I really like this rendering of your future car :thumbsup: Classic and clean with a touch of modern!
I also like how the black racing stripes on the hood flow into the front grill.

Question... did you ever consider extending/applying the same black racing strips (in the same proportions) to the truck of the car? It might give the overall appearance a little more balance... kinda like the racing stripes on the 1970-72 SS Chevelles.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Chevelle-Classic-Racing-Stripes-Kit-1970-1971-1972-/142141044504
(link for comparison reference only)

Looking forward to seeing your project come to life!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
the SS wheels are back from the paint shop and I started polishing the trim, 2 rings need to be replaced - will not be as shiny as I would like them to be

Wheel bezels polished

and finally - what a journey - the Omega will show up in my garage on Thursday

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Hi Karl

Just for some different reading -- and , keeping the GM 6 cylinder motor --- Look what These Guys have done :

Check out .

hbanger -- his Nova Wagon 250ci , I 6 , with a 4 speed …. very cool

theycallmelarmie -- his 63 Nova 250ci , I 6 , with his fresh rebuild …
………… and , nice head-work , with the "Lump-ports" installed.

Brooksey -- Working on his Nova I 6 , installing the "Sniper - Holley 2bbl EFI system" . That will be very cool …. work in progress.

onecarnut -- Lou in Arkansas -- his 68 Nova with 250ci , I 6 , Has always been a very nice "stand-out" car. Nice driver .

bigallis -- a '69 Nova , 250ci, I 6 , stock 3 speed trans , with A/C , and very clean stock --- sharp looking original appearance. Good driver Nova.

or --- bluenova667 -- his 67 Nova , 250 , "Turbo 6" , still in-the-works turbo-motor , and
'Build thread'

And, I'm sure there are more Guys Keeping their GM 6's ….

Plus, BaroneDog -- with his very Nice Nova wagon …. going with his
292 'Turbo' six install .

jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thank you Joe, found some additional ideas and inspiration!

The Oldsmobile SSII wheels are finally ready to put some tires on them

Tires will be Dunlop Sport Classic 205/70R14

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
Nice project! Love that you are tilting at the Olds, and it looks like you started with something nice.

As for the drum, I've never seen one like that. Haven't seen that many weights tied to any drum anywhere, and it would make me suspicious not only about the original casting but how centered it was when it was machined, and if the drum is in balance even now. If not, that would be more than enough to throw off a wheel balance.

A friend of mine who builds VWs and often does show car-level work balances both the drum and the wheel at the same time, and indexes the wheel to the hub and drum. Sounded a little much to me when he first mentioned it, but with very little power and skinny 15 inch tires, those little cars need all the help they can get. And I have driven one of the cars he has done this to, and it drives dead on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
frame and A-arms are almost ready for blasting and powder coating (semi-gloss black). ball joints and bushings will be removed before of course.

the welds on the frame aren't that great! will be reworked and flattened a bit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
due to the defect Chevy 250 motor block and the either expensive replacement with shipping from US or not successful searching for one in AT/EU the project develops in a different direction!

I found another thrilling machine - a Pontiac 230 OHC sprint will be the future power plant of the Omega!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts