Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a set of Comp. Engineering bolt on connectors and now getting ready to install them. When I support car on jackstands at the front frame rail and the rear spring hangers my doors don't quite line up with latches. I have to push doors down to close them. My question is,do I install connectors with car on stands and adjust doors later or do I install them with car sitting on wheels?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
You want to install them with the suspension supporting the car as it would normally sit on the ground..

If you support it with jack stands under the subrails the engine and trans are pulling the front cowl/firewall down and and throwing off the door alignment.. This is NOT how you want to install the subframe connectors..

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just installed the competition subframe connectors on my 66 about a month ago.
I had the front tires on car ramps and rear axle had jack stands under it. I opened and closed the doors to see if they lined up and they did.
The install wasn't bad, I had to beat the bottom of the floor in a bit behind the drivers seat to get it to sit flush.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I had the front tires on car ramps and rear axle had jack stands under it.
That's exactly how I installed my CE subframe connectors on my 74. The hardest part was removing the front spring eye bracket bolts since 4 of the 6 cage nuts broke while loosening (even with pre-spraying several times prior to the removal process with PB Blaster).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this is old but I am commenting for people like me that search old threads to get ideas

putting in frame connectors with car on suspension seems like a really bad idea

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I just welded ones in my 67 Nova...rear was suspended by two jack stands under the tubes of the axles. The front tires were on wood blocks. I put in Global West ones with no floor mods at all. I did have to remove the S/S fuel line to weld in though. Doors open nice..before and after.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like the right thing to do to me. I welded mine in on a drive on lift, nothing changed on my car either. Don't understand what you are trying to find out.

·
Registered
1972 Nova
328 Posts
I know this is old but I am commenting for people like me that search old threads to get ideas

putting in frame connectors with car on suspension seems like a really bad idea
When you drive the car it's on the suspension, not jacked up under a pivot point halfway that tweaks the body. Just like suspension parts, frame connectors should be tightened with the car on the ground.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Certainly, there are situations where installations may be done differently. A fully dressed car should be handled with the method described above. It is the proper way to install subframe connectors. If a car is completely stripped down to a bare shell l think it would be ok to install the subframe connectors. If the car is getting a 4 link rear suspension then there would not be any rear suspension to support but the front should be supported by the suspension and jack stands under the rear frame rails near the tail panel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts