Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an M-21 in my 71 Nova, 350 engine. I used a new Hurst Competition shifter and install kit, part #'s as recommended by Mr. Gasket. All pieces are correct via part # per this application. Installed it verbatim per their instruction sheet. 3 times now to triple check. All works well except.....
When I can get second gear, and the shifter will stay in second until I get off the throttle. Letting off the gas seems to throw the trans out of gear. If I hold the shifter back in second, it will stay in second. Just doesnt feel like its getting enough throw.
I've backed the stops all the way out, and no rods appear to be binding with each other. The trans will shift into all gears fine on the bench, and it was "gone through" by an experienced hot rod mechanic. He replaced several things inside the trans, sorry dont know exactly what. If something was missed what would cause this to happen?.
Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks, Woody

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Something to try to find out if the shifter is at fault or the tranny. Remove the shifter rod for that gear and shift the tranny into second by hand and take it for a ride and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sounds like worn "sliders" from what little I know about manual transmissions. The synchro engagement teeth and/or slider that engages them can wear and cause this problem. Try searching on www.chevelles.com/forums - I know this has been discussed over there. Maybe more experienced guys can chime in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chevynuts, ya know that what I was thinking about doing, and you've confirmed it. I'll give that a try and see if it pops out. Thanks guys, I'll check over on the Chevelle site.
I appreciate it.

Woody

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
My first Muncie did that, the sliding gears are what caused it. I guess now you need to upgrade. Those Richmond 6 speeds look good! :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took off the linkage and moved the tranny lever into second gear. I drove it around, same problem. Narrowing it down now to something inside the trans.
I'd love a six speed. Can I borrow your wallet? :D

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
The torque locks might work, but you most likely have a bad 2nd gear. Worn on the synchro part of the gear so that it forces the slider off on deceleration. The first/second slider should be replaced also, but you could probably get away with just the gear and blocking ring.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to the guy who rebuilt the trans today, and he said he installed a new 2nd gear. Sliders were not changed, no was the detent spring on the cover. I'll look into the torque sliders. Thanks
Woody

1 - 9 of 9 Posts