Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a new trans for my project. It will be 90% drag race, probably a few trips to the local cruise in down the street. I am curious what you guys prefer for shift pattern and why? I have only had forward shift in the past but am considering reverse pattern. Either way it will be full manual. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
With a reverse pattern you'll never accidently click neutral on your way to high gear. Personally, I don't know how you can miss a gear with an automatic, but I know people that do...and more than once!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
with a hurst quarter stick I don't know how someone would accidently manage to hit neutral with a full manual valve body anyways! whatever you are comfortable with I'd say

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
For a full drag car, Reverse pattern seems to work better for me.

It's just easier to pull back to the next gear VS pushing forward. It's not too bad to get used to on the street either.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I've had it both ways.

To me, once you get use to either way it really doesn't matter.

I guess this one falls under that "whatever floats your boat" thing.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
With a reverse pattern you'll never accidently click neutral on your way to high gear. Personally, I don't know how you can miss a gear with an automatic, but I know people that do...and more than once!!
First as has been said which ever pattern seems more comfortable to you...

Have to chuckle at Mike's comment. I too honestly dont see how with a ratchet shifter you could ever miss a gear or hit neutral with an auto. I run an inexpensive B&M Starshifter and in rachet mode there is no way to hit neutral. It's locked out unless you manually pull the trigger up.

·
Registered
744 Posts
For a full drag car, Reverse pattern seems to work better for me.

It's just easier to pull back to the next gear VS pushing forward. It's not too bad to get used to on the street either.
What he said. I raced my car for several years with a reverse pattern T400 and got used to PULLING the gears. Now in my 69 street car, I hit it hard the other day in low gear and tried to pull it into second. Thank goodness for rev limiters. It's a much more natural move under hard acceleration to pull it towards you than to fight gravity and push it forward towards the dashboard.

Mark

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
First as has been said which ever pattern seems more comfortable to you...

Have to chuckle at Mike's comment. I too honestly dont see how with a ratchet shifter you could ever miss a gear or hit neutral with an auto. I run an inexpensive B&M Starshifter and in rachet mode there is no way to hit neutral. It's locked out unless you manually pull the trigger up.
I ran a built 700R4 with a B&M Megashifter, It took forever to get it adjusted right but I missed gears all the time at the track with it in the process.

It was so bad that after the 1-2 shift i'd have to pull the handle back about 1/4" (just a few mm of cable travel) or it would 2-3 shift on it's own. Pulled it back a little too far once, engine spun past 8K and broke the slicks loose. :eek:

This is why I love my B&M Pro-Ratchet, it works so much better.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I ran a built 700R4 with a B&M Megashifter, It took forever to get it adjusted right but I missed gears all the time at the track with it in the process.

It was so bad that after the 1-2 shift i'd have to pull the handle back about 1/4" (just a few mm of cable travel) or it would 2-3 shift on it's own. Pulled it back a little too far once, engine spun past 8K and broke the slicks loose. :eek:
That's due to mis-adjustment not the shifter.

If you want to eliminate all the 700R4 adjustment issues go with a manual valve body. There's no TV cable. ;)

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Forward shift pattern street car running the B&M Quicksilver shifter myself(was).

Have to adjust shifter cable and check it in drive and low by pulling the cable out of the shifter hole and verifying it fits in nice and smooth before you put the cotter pin in it.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Yup they can be finicky to get adjusted. But once set no problemo.

This reminded me of an issue I did have with the Starshifter. The rectangular plate/lever that mounts on the shaft of the tranny that controls the shifting, you know the one the shifter cable actually connects to? Well the square hole that goes over the shaft fit loosely. Not a lot but noticeably so. It had just enough play to make adjustment a real pita.
Well put a bead of brazing along one side and hand filed it to make a real snug fit. WALLA! Final adjustment was precise and easy. No sloppiness in the cable or lever and only took a few minutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have seen a car sail by me at the finish line at 140 lock up the rear wheels and violently roll.First thing driver said "I put it in neutral" but it went into reverse. Intenal pressure in a glide can cause this. I have a reverse pattern.

·
Registered
458 Posts
B&M Quicksilver / Th 350 with Turbo action manual valve body with forward pattern here.
Had a minor fire "up there" in a run last season.
Got unsure if third really got in and shifted again...:eek:
The rev limiter worked just fine...
Knock knock..it has just happened once in 12 years.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have seen a car sail by me at the finish line at 140 lock up the rear wheels and violently roll.First thing driver said "I put it in neutral" but it went into reverse. Intenal pressure in a glide can cause this.
I hate it when that happens.

Sounds really strange anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts