Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 Nova that I've owned for 14 years. It has what I think were some rather rare and cool options. I would like to get some thoughts on what I might be able to sell it for. The obvious options were; Four speed, tach, intermittent windshield wiper control, tilt steering wheel, bucket seats, swing out rear quarter windows. Don't know if a trunk light was an option but it has that also.

What I've done to it; 330 hp crate, rebuilt saginaw four speed 3:11 first gear, rebuilt rear 3.o8 open diff, drive shaft, electric fuel pump set up for fuel injection, Poly eurathane Body mount bushings, Body and Paint (after wife backed into it). It doesn't have a back seat because I had plans to make it a 2 seater simular to a 70 AMX. I may have forgotten a few things.

20180825_130406.jpg

20180825_130418.jpg

20180825_130445.jpg

20180825_130455.jpg

20180825_130506.jpg

20180825_130514.jpg

20180825_130529.jpg

20180825_130539.jpg

20180825_130554.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Yes, you car indeed has some very desirable options.

I saw your comment about your engine.

Son and I have used a 330 HP vortec crate engine a couple of times and they do a good job.

Is that what you have?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would be inclined to restore it back to original but your car has some very nice upgrades. If as clean underneath as it is topside am guessing $8500 ish range. Am basing that number on what the Phil Valentine car sold for, it went too low. Hemmings 2018 Price Guide lists a #2 condition V-8 model as being worth $4400. Am adding $4000 for the manual trans original from factory and the upgrades - crate motor and wheels. Others may view this differently. Personally like the no A/C status, as it greatly reduces clutter, but it will reduce value in the eyes of most. The vast majority of "disco" cars that were manual trans were bare bones three on the tree four doors with a 250 L6.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is. I bought the crate motor in 2004 maybe and it sat in it's crate for 6 years. Almost sold it.

It could I guess be brought back to original but I believe the upgrades I made were tasteful and made the car more fun. I did neglect to mention that I put new carpet and a headliner in and new tail light lenses and buckets. I had the dash pad reupholstered due to the original being cracked. There is more to be done with it interior wise. The front end needs to be rebuilt but is still safe to drive as it is now. It is fun to drive and it takes me back 40 years when I do.

Any more comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Really like your car! I agree about the tasteful upgrades! Before I opted for an overdrive transmission I had the Saginaw with 3.11 ist gear. Worked great. Thanks for sharing your car. Nice job!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliment. My intention for the car was to make it a fun driver. It is a 79 Nova after all, not a pick any year Yenko, Motion, Shelby something or other. I've seen adds for Novas of this generation and pretty much all I see are drag cars with 12" cowl hoods with the complementary rust throughout or original low mileage straight six with cloth plaid upholstery. Nothing against them but if someone wanted something solid to play with and not have to worry about ruining perceived value,I think this would be it.
I had a 69 Chevelle 307, 3 on the floor when I was too dumb to realize what I had. This kind of brings back some of those faded memories for me.
I think it's time to detail it a bit and throw it in an add.
Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
201 Posts
An abbreviated production cycle last year car, with V-8, floor shifted four speed, and no A/C. Build numbers with this combination are likely very low - a few hundred perhaps. How many left - a few dozen?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thats a pretty rare bird, wish my 75 had swing out windows. I could see it going for anywhere from 8 maybe 10k in my neck of the woods

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your reply's. I was thinking the same thing. I at one time traced all the obvious options and they were all rather rare. The rarest being the 4 speed (616) for the 79 out of something like 98000 built for that year. The car is ready for someone with the motivation to complete it. I've been distracted by other bright shiny objects and am ready to move on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for your reply's. I was thinking the same thing. I at one time traced all the obvious options and they were all rather rare. The rarest being the 4 speed (616) for the 79 out of something like 98000 built for that year. The car is ready for someone with the motivation to complete it. I've been distracted by other bright shiny objects and am ready to move on.
Hi There! I have a 79 factory V8 4speed car (now a tremec 5 speed) and I found the same thing you did as to the 616 produced in 79. It's a picture of the one in my avatar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi There! I have a 79 factory V8 4speed car (now a tremec 5 speed) and I found the same thing you did as to the 616 produced in 79. It's a picture of the one in my avatar.

Haven't been on in a while. It's good to see another 79 survivor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts