Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever heard of Probe pistons and Hasting rings? I found a pretty good deal on some forged Probed pistons and some Hastings rings. I was wondering if anyone has used them and if they are good or not cause I'm on a college budget. I'm planning on building a 355 for a street/strip car that will see maybe a 175 shot.

·
Registered
745 Posts
:yes:I have those rings on my little 350... havent fire it yet but i do have them ha..

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
you can not go wrong with Probe.. MADE IN THE USA from 2618 alloy... you could do far worse that to buy PROBE PISTONS.. as for Hastings.....I just snickered.... sorry....aaa.. yeah they are a fine product...

:poke::poke::poke: Henry Ford bought his first set of rings from them....thats all...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I used Hastings rings once......... and only once.
I have no experience with Probe.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've got Probe pistons in my 406. Got a set for "V" and a set for a friend of his/ours. I put a set in a build for my little brudda that got beat on plenty!!:yes:

Mark make a damn good product!!!

As for Hastings?.....Lets just say a LOT of the other name brands still re-box a lot of rings.:yes: There's only a FEW places they are actually manufactured.

If you want a lesson on rings, give Barry R. a call over at Survival Motorsports.:D:yes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I have some Probe pistons on the shelf for a future project--nice stuff. I know people that work there, and I know a few racers that run them; mostly F**D guys, but now they sell a lot of Chevy stuff. I got them because they are very light, but not as pricey as some others. As for Hastings stuff....they have been around a long time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol so I guess the hasting rings are a no go lol. What would be a good set of rings for nitrous and where can I find some info on how much to gap them?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Lol so I guess the hasting rings are a no go lol. What would be a good set of rings for nitrous and where can I find some info on how much to gap them?
Nothing wrong with the Hasting rings.:no: They've been around for a LONG time. A LOT of the designer branded rings are nothing but Hastings that have been reboxed.:yes:

Gaps will be dictated by the ring manufacturer and piston manufacturer. There are basic guidelines depending on what your goals and intended use is but we'll need a LOT more info that what you've stated so far.:yes:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I used Probe on my 406, I don't do many engine re-builds but I was surprised at the close tollerrances between cylinder wall and piston that were recommended - its tight.
I don't recall the rings, but like they said there are different ring gaps for different levels of power adders - it was spelled out with my rings I'm thinking they were total seal rings not sure.

Another thing if you have floating pins and hang your on pistons - this was the first time I used the sprawl spring clips (I think thats what there called) A fellow Steve member gave me the heads up on how to install them, you basically have to pull / streatch them appart a little then wind them in.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I used Probe on my 406, I don't do many engine re-builds but I was surprised at the close tollerrances between cylinder wall and piston that were recommended - its tight.
I don't recall the rings, but like they said there are different ring gaps for different levels of power adders - it was spelled out with my rings I'm thinking they were total seal rings not sure.

Another thing if you have floating pins and hang your on pistons - this was the first time I used the sprawl spring clips (I think thats what there called) A fellow Steve member gave me the heads up on how to install them, you basically have to pull / streatch them appart a little then wind them in.

Chuck
Thems be called "Spiro-Locks".:D:yes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Thems be called "Spiro-Locks".:D:yes:
Sorry to get off topic. But the pin locks? Spiro-locks or a double circlip? Any diff?? Mine has two C-clips and I was wondering about it when building it cause I saw alot of the spiral clips being used but not many of the two C-clips. Just curious? JR

·
Registered
508 Posts
These are the pistons and rings I'm looking at. Only problem is it says its for a 383 when I'm building a 355. I know 383's eat a little oil because of the wrist pin on the piston. Would there be any other problems if I used these on a 355 motor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-CHEVY-383-PROBE-FORGED-PISTONS-FLAT-TOP-P3831F-30_W0QQitemZ350221834925QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518ad91aad&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:2|39:1
if they are for a 383 they will not work in a 355 do too stroke and rod length diffrences.... the pin highth on the piston will be to high and the piston will set to far in the cylinder thus producing poor combustion and or will have a prob. with the skirt getting to close to the crankshaft. so if its for a 383 let them be. or buy your self a new crank!!!:devil: and as far as the 383 using more oil?????? i dont think this is a issue with pistons like the probes. i have built several motors with all types of pistons and never had a problem with a 383 using oil. JMO!!! hope this helps!:yes:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Sorry to get off topic. But the pin locks? Spiro-locks or a double circlip? Any diff?? Mine has two C-clips and I was wondering about it when building it cause I saw alot of the spiral clips being used but not many of the two C-clips. Just curious? JR
a few makers use the round wire locks("C" clip" looking) Spirolocks and Dbl Spiro locks have been around since the 70's

Dbl Spiro locks means there are 2 of the locks on each side of the pin... the round wire lock.. I dont have a problem with ... till its time to remove them!:D

TRW used to have a inside spring clip.. that took inside spring clip pliers to install and remove.... I don't know any piston manufacture off hand that still uses that type of pin lock these days.. but threre maybe.. I have not used all the makers out there..

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
These are the pistons and rings I'm looking at. Only problem is it says its for a 383 when I'm building a 355. I know 383's eat a little oil because of the wrist pin on the piston. Would there be any other problems if I used these on a 355 motor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-CHEVY-383-PROBE-FORGED-PISTONS-FLAT-TOP-P3831F-30_W0QQitemZ350221834925QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518ad91aad&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:2|39:1
As was mentioned above, because of the stroke difference between the 355 and 383 they will typically use a different piston and depending on the rod length will NOT interchange. :no:

As for the 383 using more oil.....Don't believe all of the B.S.....:no: There's plenty 383's out there that don't have an oil consumption problem.:yes:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
a few makers use the round wire locks("C" clip" looking) Spirolocks and Dbl Spiro locks have been around since the 70's

Dbl Spiro locks means there are 2 of the locks on each side of the pin... the round wire lock.. I dont have a problem with ... till its time to remove them!:D

TRW used to have a inside spring clip.. that took inside spring clip pliers to install and remove.... I don't know any piston manufacture off hand that still uses that type of pin lock these days.. but threre maybe.. I have not used all the makers out there..
Yup:yes:.....What he said.:D

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
You might be surprised to know who manufactures 75% of all piston rings!!
OEM & Aftermarket

ALL PISTON RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!

Care to guess?

Chances are very high, every vehicle you have has them.

AL

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hello Veno,

I may be wrong, but I think if you are using the round wire style clip it generally requires a special grove in piston and taper on the pin itself.

I think the typical lock uses a square cut groove and the pin must have a 90 degree surface on the end.

As far as rings go, I am not a real big fan of the Hasting performance rings but I do use them on occasion. In any case I would make every effort to make sure that the top ring is ductile iron.

Good Luck
Jeff

1 - 20 of 37 Posts