Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard you can use the ford large bearing end housing with retainer plate with correct chevy brake pattern for narrowing a rear. I have found a part# to allow a 28 spline axle to work with this bearing part# BCA/national 511004. Just still not sure on the correct seals. Does it sound like Im on the right track? Also see something about a 1977 ford ranchero bearing. I looked them up and they look like the right dimensions.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If I read correctly you plan to install ford large bearing ends on your 10 bolt housing so you can use your factory 28 spline c-clip axles and have a bearing pressed onto them with a retainer plate and correct seal? Basically just converting your 10 bolt housing to bolt in axle retention?
I'm sure it can be done and I bet it's been done by others. I also see Moser sells retainer plates with the stock 10-bolt housing end pattern so it makes me wonder if there might just be a press on bearing and seal available for you to use without having to change the housing ends????

Years ago I pulled an 8.5" 10 bolt out of an early 70's olds cutlass, this rearend had bolt in axle retention with a pressed on axle bearing. I used a 3.42 Eaton gear and out of a 79 Z-28 and put the assembly in a 79 Buick Regal-----This was the cheapest way for my to build an 8.5 10 bolt with bolt in axle retention for this G-body. Now, thinking about it- since the Olds rearend came with bolt in axle retention and pressed on bearing it makes me wonder if that bearing/seal/retainer plate could just be used on any 8.5 housing.....

After you do the research on bearing part numbers and come up with a plan for yours- please post up the part numbers and information you gathered to help others here on this site. Bob

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I read correctly you plan to install ford large bearing ends on your 10 bolt housing so you can use your factory 28 spline c-clip axles and have a bearing pressed onto them with a retainer plate and correct seal? Basically just converting your 10 bolt housing to bolt in axle retention?
I'm sure it can be done and I bet it's been done by others. I also see Moser sells retainer plates with the stock 10-bolt housing end pattern so it makes me wonder if there might just be a press on bearing and seal available for you to use without having to change the housing ends????

Years ago I pulled an 8.5" 10 bolt out of an early 70's olds cutlass, this rearend had bolt in axle retention with a pressed on axle bearing. I used a 3.42 Eaton gear and out of a 79 Z-28 and put the assembly in a 79 Buick Regal-----This was the cheapest way for my to build an 8.5 10 bolt with bolt in axle retention for this G-body. Now, thinking about it- since the Olds rearend came with bolt in axle retention and pressed on bearing it makes me wonder if that bearing/seal/retainer plate could just be used on any 8.5 housing.....

After you do the research on bearing part numbers and come up with a plan for yours- please post up the part numbers and information you gathered to help others here on this site. Bob
Thats exactly what Im trying to do. I still plan on calling moser or strange depeneding where I get my housing ends and see if they can shed anymore light on the situation. I will definiately report back my findings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts