Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year of ford explorers do I need to look at for a 8.8 rearend? Do they all have them?

·
Registered
396 Posts
The 1995 - 2001 Explorers will be a disk brake, 8.8 solid rear axle, possibly up until 2003 with a sport model before all IFS, and the Sport Trac Exploder trucks have them until around 2005- I recently pulled a short side axle from one of those that was a 2003. Would have grabbed the whole thing but it was an open diff. Check inside the driver door tag for axle code D2 or D4 for a 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio with Trac-lok limited slip. If planning to narrow it, pull the cover and the long/driver side axle and grab a short pass side axle from another and stuff it in there before u check out. Trak lok will have a S shaped spring in between the side gears. Use a good 8mm wrench/socket to loosen the pin, they strip easily, and a magnet helps get it out to pull the axles. I use a sawsall to cut the U bolts and they come out pretty quick and easy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Guys

I have just shortened an 1998 8.8 explorer axle for my wagon, dead easy to shorten. just cut the long side and fit another short axle. Videos available on YouTube, the axle will come out 5/8 inch shorter both sides. so should help with wheel choice as there are more wheels to choose from with 4.5back space.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind, budget wise, is the trac lock and maintenance. At a minimum you're going to need to new clutches. My driveline guy says most junk yard axels are going to need full rebuild kits from bearings to seals and many times the carrier housing needs replacing.

For my setup the spider gears were busted when I pulled it and the cost to was not worth replacing the trac lock so I found a used torsen gear and will install that. Part number is m-4204-t31.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How good is the trac lock? I like this option but I hear people rag on the traction even when upgraded to the ford racing carbon disc. Or is it just people justifying their eaton purchase?

·
Registered
390 Posts
How good is the trac lock? I like this option but I hear people rag on the traction even when upgraded to the ford racing carbon disc. Or is it just people justifying their eaton purchase?
if rebuilt properly and maintained routinely, they work ok for many regular street applications... however.. i dont trust it for what im doing and going to be upgrading, prob using an eaton detroit truetrac, for now... i also like the idea of not having the clutch style setup at all... the other styles will take more abuse, IMHO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree. I'm picking up a lightly used M-4204-MB that I'm putting in. It should take the abuse for what I have now and what may come. It's the one out of a Cobra

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hi Guys

I have just shortened an 1998 8.8 explorer axle for my wagon, dead easy to shorten. just cut the long side and fit another short axle. Videos available on YouTube, the axle will come out 5/8 inch shorter both sides. so should help with wheel choice as there are more wheels to choose from with 4.5back space.
If you replace the long tube with a short tube, do you know what the total width comes out to?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind, budget wise, is the trac lock and maintenance. At a minimum you're going to need to new clutches. My driveline guy says most junk yard axels are going to need full rebuild kits from bearings to seals and many times the carrier housing needs replacing.

For my setup the spider gears were busted when I pulled it and the cost to was not worth replacing the trac lock so I found a used torsen gear and will install that. Part number is m-4204-t31.
SoCalNova what is a "torsen Gear" is this a posi unit? Ive looked and looked, cannot find in 350-370 gear in anything but limited slip, found 410 in posi, a little steep, 350 gear range be my first choice, but considering the 410 then change gear? thanks, good stuff

·
Registered
129 Posts
SoCalNova what is a "torsen Gear" is this a posi unit? Ive looked and looked, cannot find in 350-370 gear in anything but limited slip, found 410 in posi, a little steep, 350 gear range be my first choice, but considering the 410 then change gear? thanks, good stuff
Gleason Torsen is a version of the helical worm gear traction differential, similar to the Eaton Detroit TrueTrac and Wavetrac
No clutches to wear out and typically stronger than any plate or cone clutch type diff.

The term "limited slip" and "posi" denote the same thing...a traction differential. The only thing that could be different is the type of traction diff that is used....clutches, helical, or locker.

"limited slip" gets misused a lot by less astute car guys and non car people who think that it means it will sometimes grab and sometimes not....I've heard idiots say they "caught posi" when their car would spin both tires on gravel or gritty road, but only spin one on clean pavement, and think that means "limited slip" ...it wasn't, that's just how a plain old open differential works when tire loading is the same or poor traction exists for both tires equally.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You know all those mustang memes about plowing into crowds? Track lock is the reason behind it.
It's not the fault of the Traction Lock differential, a Torsen rear will get you the same result.
The problem is the idiot behind the wheel 100% of the time. Spin both drive tires trying to show off, loose control, wipe out and cause property damage, injure people, or bust up your own ride. It's the ricer boy Mustang owner way.:LOL:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sure. One thing I learned in my research is that when then clutches go south on these units it makes the unit less and less predictable and less fun/safe to drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts