Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a complete 9 with my 4 link from TCI with a tru trac in it for my build. Got her running in 2011 and have only put about 2600 miles on her. In the few weeks before I put it away for the winter it started peeling just one wheel. From what I understand it shouldn't do that. Did some research and it says to not use synthetic or friction modifier. When I ordered it, it came with 2 bottles of sythetic and a bottle of friction modifier so I put them in. Wondering if changing the gear oil will rectify my problem? Or could it be something much more serious? and Also wndering why they would send improper oil and modifier when you buy it from them brand new, anyone else run sythetic in a trutrac and have problems?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think you got more miles out of your tru trac than I did . Mine lasted about 6 months , mostly 1/8th mile passes , but maybe 1000 street miles at most. The press pins that hold the gears in fell out of mine. Mine was also from tci and a currie unit. When I got it ,I went to currie and asked what type of oil to use. They never mentioned not using synthetic. When it fell apart thats when I was told not to use synthetic.
I had a whole new center section built using a locker this time and filled it with curries 9plus oil this time. So far so good , an expensive lesson .

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I have been running a Detroit TruTrac for 7 years now with out any problems and I beat on it a ton.
The unfortunate thing is that I don't think they are rebuildable either. Sorry to hear about your problems.
Tom

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They aren't. I just wonder if the viscosity of the fluid is interferring with load transfer. I read synthetic has different shock properties. I also read that if it moves and drives fine it likley isn't broken (the tru trac itself, not sure if that is true). I have hardly beat on it at all. 5 or 6 burnouts, all were fine except for the last one, only one wheel. I'll be taking it apart this winter to see what I can see. Was hoping someone had some insight/previous experience.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hmmm, I got a complete currie 9" with my 4 link as well. I also ordered the true track with it. They did send oil with it. So I need to verify that it is non synthetic? I haven't filled mine yet...

Keep us posted, I'm curious to see what you find out!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you got more miles out of your tru trac than I did . Mine lasted about 6 months , mostly 1/8th mile passes , but maybe 1000 street miles at most. The press pins that hold the gears in fell out of mine. Mine was also from tci and a currie unit. When I got it ,I went to currie and asked what type of oil to use. They never mentioned not using synthetic. When it fell apart thats when I was told not to use synthetic.
I had a whole new center section built using a locker this time and filled it with curries 9plus oil this time. So far so good , an expensive lesson .
I got 3 days out out of one in my chevelle same issue pins came out, few burnouts on the street. I've had one for 10 years in my 4x4 burnouts with 38" tall tires never a issue yet.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I never touch synthetic anything. :no:

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
This is one reason why I run a full spool.

However, as far as I know, you shouldn't be using synthetic lube and you should use some sort of posi additive.

When I use to run a posi in Pandora's Box I did change out the lube for synthetic lube and had the same problem you are having.

Now with all that said, my 2001 Super Duty "requires" synthetic lube as well as 8 oz. of Ford posi additive. :turn:

·
Registered
909 Posts
When mine broke and I went to currie this is the oil they told me to run. I would call and talk to them and make sure. I put this in my new rear they built me with the locker.
The other thing is to break in the rear end properly. That is something else they failed to mention the first time around. This time I changed the oil after only a couple hundred miles too just to be safe.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product596.aspx?id=1382

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so Strokerace and Firstnova, when the pins come out did the rear end still work fine, drive fine, no noise? I even gave her a little gas around a corner and it started to slide out a bit so the other tire must have spun some, so that makes me think it is just the fluid messing with the load transfer. The did give me friction modifier with mine and I put it in, everything I read now says no friction modifier in a trutrac?

·
Registered
52 Posts
so Strokerace and Firstnova, when the pins come out did the rear end still work fine, drive fine, no noise? I even gave her a little gas around a corner and it started to slide out a bit so the other tire must have spun some, so that makes me think it is just the fluid messing with the load transfer. The did give me friction modifier with mine and I put it in, everything I read now says no friction modifier in a trutrac?
When mine quit working it would only spin one wheel, it would change which wheel it would spin at times but wouldn't spin both, no noise etc. When I took the rear end apart to see what had happen the pins etc. had came apart. When I got both of mine new they came with two bottles of 75w90 regular oil and a 8oz bottle friction modifier. There was about 2 years in between purchases both were broken in around a 100 miles or so before the testing began.
I now run a locker in the car, still no problems with one in the truck. It is difficult to run a spool where I live and drive all the curves much. I have done it in the past the locker works much better for me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
When mine broke I was at the track. Made my best pass ever and heard a noise when I let off at the end of the track. Drove it home and pulled it apart the next day to find the pins lalaying inside. I had a whole new center built with 411 gears and a locker. Been good since.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it all apart and the pins have started coming out, seems like a terrible designe flaw. Never buy another one that's for sure. I don't want cluthc packs to fool with so I am thinking of going with a detroit locker can anyone give me some insight as to how they behave on the street? Firstnova2 or strokerace or anyone else. Did some reading online and am no further ahead.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This was hashed out on here a couple weeks ago or so and you're gonna get all kinds of opinions.Any clutch posi can be tempermental as far as oil/additive and maintenance.I had a locker years ago in a truck and did not like it.Lots of clunking in and out and is expensive.There are new styles that resolved some of the racket but not the price.I run a full spool on the street and only notice some increased tire wear and for what I saved on a fancy posi I can buy a couple sets of tires.It's cheap,quiet and strong.I wouldn't advise it in a car the sees ambitous corner carving though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This was hashed out on here a couple weeks ago or so and you're gonna get all kinds of opinions.Any clutch posi can be tempermental as far as oil/additive and maintenance.I had a locker years ago in a truck and did not like it.Lots of clunking in and out and is expensive.There are new styles that resolved some of the racket but not the price.I run a full spool on the street and only notice some increased tire wear and for what I saved on a fancy posi I can buy a couple sets of tires.It's cheap,quiet and strong.I wouldn't advise it in a car the sees ambitous corner carving though.
Neither a trutrac or a locker are clutch type posi's and I am not looking for a recommendation, I had a trutrac and it lasted 2600 miles, never buy another. I am looking for people's insight that run a detroit locker on the street. Looking for real world experience how they behave for street driving in a relatively short wheel based car like a nova.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I am glad I didn't purchase truetrac when I was buying parts for my rearend. Went with what I know is good and works and that is an Eaton posi.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
The Truetrac is a gear driven posi. No clutches.

·
4,534 Posts
Truetrac should be run with non synthetic fluid and no friction additive.

Miles

·
Registered
798 Posts
My mistake.Confused Trutrac with the OE name for the 9" clutch posi which was something similar I think.Anyway,nice idea but if it falls apart....?That Detroit locker I had in my pickup was horribly noisy especially when exiting a turn and power on.Eventually I changed the way I drove to try and avoid the ratcheting.Still would not own one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts