Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am not at the stage of putting my car together yet.it will be media blasted real soon.but i was wondering about what to do to the front end.
for the money what is the best way to go?
my car is all stock but i do want power disk brakes.not the drums.

by the time its all said and done what is better?

buying a TCI front clip?

or buying the CPP front system?

keep in mind the brake upgrade.
there are plenty of you out there that have done this so your cars.so your input would be very useful to me and others that will read this post.
if i go the tci way i dont need to get the front clip blasted so i will save some money.
thanks to all that reply

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend?$500 or $5000?bm

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Both the companies provide a low cost solution to the less than perfect nova front suspension. Think about the future too. Like upgrades. If you decide to add really large brakes for example which company can support you better. Ive been looking at some upgrades to the front and from what Ive read and learned I really like the customer support from CPP. Specifically Im looking to swap out my 11" brakes for a 13" rotor. Im prolly gonna go with CPP. And I have TCI MII arms. I like the fact that I can call CPP and get their tech support on the first call. JR

·
Registered
443 Posts
Holy bajeebus Batman(POW, WIFF, BAM!!!), your comparing apples and oranges.

My .02 goes like so. First you've got to figure out how you want the car configured. If its wide front tire, pro touring that your after or stuffing a big block into that cramped area then a clip has advantages that the A arm/rack kits cant help. CPP, Church and others make great products that really improve the handling and as far as Im concerned the safety of these cars.

Now having said that it was NEVER an option for me to use the stock clip, I DONT LIKE THEM. I hate old unibody construction and shock towers were never in my picture. I like tubular style clips because they clean up the front end and give more room for whatever you do up front. Thats not to say that you cant make a stock clip work great with the modifications offered on this site, theres plenty testimonial to back them up.

Price, I did a little checking and it seemed in order to get rid of all the stamped steel A-arms, convert to R & P and get the full benefit of what these guys are offering you're going to spend around 1600 bucks. I paid 2400 for my clip delivered. For me there was never a question which way I wanted to go but plenty choose the stock clip mods and are very happy.

One things for sure, thats that much less undercoating i have to remove. I cut my stock clip to pieces with a plasma vengence, grinning all the way.

I might have some bias though, ive built new cro-mo dragster chassis from scratch and love new car construction but laying under these OUT OF SQUARE PIECES OF CRAP WITH NUCLEAR PROOF UNDERCOATING DRIPPING ON MY BELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, lost it for a minute, lets just say this will be my last one:yes:

Do some research, read the opinions, go look at the different parts and good luck with your decision. With todays options you wont be disappointed either way.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Holy bajeebus Batman(POW, WIFF, BAM!!!), your comparing apples and oranges.

My .02 goes like so. First you've got to figure out how you want the car configured. If its wide front tire, pro touring that your after or stuffing a big block into that cramped area then a clip has advantages that the A arm/rack kits cant help. CPP, Church and others make great products that really improve the handling and as far as Im concerned the safety of these cars.

Now having said that it was NEVER an option for me to use the stock clip, I DONT LIKE THEM. I hate old unibody construction and shock towers were never in my picture. I like tubular style clips because they clean up the front end and give more room for whatever you do up front. Thats not to say that you cant make a stock clip work great with the modifications offered on this site, theres plenty testimonial to back them up.

Price, I did a little checking and it seemed in order to get rid of all the stamped steel A-arms, convert to R & P and get the full benefit of what these guys are offering you're going to spend around 1600 bucks. I paid 2400 for my clip delivered. For me there was never a question which way I wanted to go but plenty choose the stock clip mods and are very happy.

One things for sure, thats that much less undercoating i have to remove. I cut my stock clip to pieces with a plasma vengence, grinning all the way.

I might have some bias though, ive built new cro-mo dragster chassis from scratch and love new car construction but laying under these OUT OF SQUARE PIECES OF CRAP WITH NUCLEAR PROOF UNDERCOATING DRIPPING ON MY BELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, lost it for a minute, lets just say this will be my last one:yes:

Do some research, read the opinions, go look at the different parts and good luck with your decision. With todays options you wont be disappointed either way.
Isnt he compairing apples and oranges?He asked about tci vs cpp not me?bm

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
That's why I asked what you get for $500? That was a misleading statement for sure....
Tg
cpp lower a arm kit $500....All the bells and whistles Tci Clip $5000 and anything in between...all depends on how much you want to spend.Both will clean up your steering...of course the Tci clip is waaaaay better then the cpp mini kit but if you just want to clean up your steering... cpp gets my vote.bm
Ps make sure you take a look at the Church Bros arms too.They have alot more adjustability then the cpp arms

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys

hey thanks for the great replies

sorry about not doing some research on this web site.i did not know that this question has been asked before so many times.

i was thinking by the time the new brakes,clipers,spindels,coils,and all the other stuff i might be in the same price range.

i was not planning on the top of the line front clip.just the cheaper one with power steering.

but if i am to keep my stockfront clip i need to replace all my bushings and i need new coils the stock ones were heated to drop car.:eek:

but i will read the other post that you guys gave me a link to.

my budget to do my front end is $3000. so i think i should be able to do a good set up with that budget.i dont really want to spend it all.but thats the max i am willing to go.

i will be installing a LS block in this nova.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
my budget to do my front end is $3000. so i think i should be able to do a good set up with that budget.i dont really want to spend it all.but thats the max i am willing to go.
Yup, can be done for less too. A full MII front if thats what you want. Brakes and all. And maybe not a bolt in clip. If you can weld then you save yourself some money. If you want a full, bolt in clip then yer stretching yer budget.

I went the route of a weld in MII crossmember that attaches to the stock lower rails. I used TCI MII parts to complete the front. Arms, spindles, brakes and rack and pinion steering. I made new inner fender panels (16ga) and welded them solid to the stock upper fender mounts and the lower frame. Is it as solid as the tube clips available?? I dont think so, but I dont know really.

Its stiff. I just raised the front today to do some work and I placed the jack stands under the frame that connects the rear clip to the front. As I was lowering the jack slowly expecting to see some droop. The entire front (V8 and all) was being hung from the original bolted up suspension points. I lowered it and it sat firmly on the jack stands it didnt flex at all. I was surprised, thats alot of weight being hung out there. The jacks were well behind the firewall. And cause Im gonna be doing alot of work on the front and Ill be under it I raised it again and actually lowered it at a lil faster rate. Just to seat it all down and MAN.. It was solid. Once the frame hit the jack stands it was a solid thud and the front of the car didnt flex or budge at all, like it was a solid connection. Im confident its gonna suit me just fine. And the cost was minimal. Back in 1995 the parts were prolly about 1500 bucks total. And if you can get a crossmember then the cost is prolly not much more these days. And this CM was made for the 62 nova, Arizona nova, out of bus. I think?? JR

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
hey thanks for the great replies

sorry about not doing some research on this web site.i did not know that this question has been asked before so many times.

i was thinking by the time the new brakes,clipers,spindels,coils,and all the other stuff i might be in the same price range.

i was not planning on the top of the line front clip.just the cheaper one with power steering.

but if i am to keep my stockfront clip i need to replace all my bushings and i need new coils the stock ones were heated to drop car.:eek:

but i will read the other post that you guys gave me a link to.

i will be installing a LS block in this nova.
Why oh why would you try to use the stock gear box and drag-link? How many guys have done this and when done were not happy. Me for one!! The CBR kit is the best money I have spent on my car and I am one that drives mine. I have had mine on the drag strip and on the interstate and it drives great. The front clips are great but you have to watch what you buy as not all will take any oil pan and header but these and some of the cheaper one seam to not hold there alignment if you drive the car hard. I have over 4000 miles on mine and the front tires still look new after redoing my old gear box and all new stuff under it I was doing good to get 2000 miles out of a set of tires and the guy doing the alignment knew what he was doing. Me I like the stock frame and inner finders I like all the curves and stuff not just a flat pace of plate steel with a bend in it. For me CBR is the best out there. With an LS motor the cross member will woke great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts