Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was going to go to the street legal drags this weekend. can anyone tell me if tis worth it? are there alot of classics or just kids racing there rice burners:bored:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
IMO it's a waste. Poor track prep and too many cars and a LOT that break for some reason or another.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Not worth it. go to irwindale on a thursday night. Only 1/8th mile, but you get alot more passes, and there are less cars.

get there early, and you can make 4 passes before it gets too busy. as long as no oil downs or crashes.

I won't run Fontana anymore. Lat time I did it, I was there 8 hours, and made 2 passes.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was thinking about going...but I think id rather go to irwindale this thursday. Last time I got there around 8 am than left at 4 and got 5 passes

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW sounds like a bad idea. im not running just wanted to go watch and see what it is all about. im a long way from running my nova. its a daily driver for my daughter but when she is done with it i plan on building it up:devil:

thanks guys for the 411

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
hey,hey ...... whats with all the track bashing :mad: im not a fan of irwindale to many cars and its only 1/8 mile ...... what the hell is 1/8 mile going to tell you...... that your car is only good for half track :sleep: i want to see what my car does in the 1/4 mile........ you dont see to many prostockers running 1/8th mile do you :no: but its all difference of opinions i guess :rolleyes: i hope i dont make you guys mad at me for my comment here i dont want non of the so cal nova guys mad at me in no way its just my opinion. i guess its because i only live 10 minutes from california speedway i unfortunaly dont have a truck or trailer to tow out to irwindale when i get one i will. i guess you guys would have to see it from another point...... so here you go
i lived in colorado for a couple years and they only have one track ( bandamere ) its only open for a couple of months though and it usually gets rained out during test n tune nights but its a damn good track for what those guys got. it hooks with no vht and its 5,800 ft above see level which in turns makes us sea leval guys slow :yes: we should be lucky to have a " sh**ty " 1/4 mile that isnt a 4 hour drive like bakersfeild or the strip ( vegas ) i cant afford to drive that far :no: i understand thow cause you guys are saying the same thing " i dont have a trailer either " and " irwindale is only 10 minutes from me " ........ except you bob ( znova ) your excluded :yes: ........ the track is actually preped very well ive seen a couple of bumper dragers out there its them little ricer f***s with there street tires ruinning the pad :yes: it happens at irwindale too its no different........ to me i guess anyways like i said earlier please dont take this personal its just my opinion i dont want to make any enemies at all besides we all have 2 things in common and its novas and seeing if we can make our cars faster :yes: :D
jim nelson

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well im sure its going to be hot as hell out at fontana but i may go there just to try out my new converter :devil: maybe make a couple passes in the morning than hang out and try to do a couple more when its cooled down a tad :eek:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Jim, you forgot that I've made the fontana drive in 107* heat an hour or more each way and ran very low 11's. And 1/8 mile says a lot about a cat if it's geared correctly. Most of the race is determined by the 330' mark. The rest is just fun and mph. Not often I get to legally take a street car (sorta) past 120 mph.

I suggest if you're local to the track to wait for a PSCA event and run your car. Better prep and no hassle. Fontana isn't bad, it's just far for most people.

·
Registered
771 Posts
well im sure its going to be hot as hell out at fontana but i may go there just to try out my new converter :devil: maybe make a couple passes in the morning than hang out and try to do a couple more when its cooled down a tad :eek:
THats what I was thinkin.....hmmm

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
hey,hey ...... whats with all the track bashing :mad: im not a fan of irwindale to many cars and its only 1/8 mile ...... what the hell is 1/8 mile going to tell you...... that your car is only good for half track :sleep: i want to see what my car does in the 1/4 mile........ you dont see to many prostockers running 1/8th mile do you :no: but its all difference of opinions i guess :rolleyes: i hope i dont make you guys mad at me for my comment here i dont want non of the so cal nova guys mad at me in no way its just my opinion. i guess its because i only live 10 minutes from california speedway i unfortunaly dont have a truck or trailer to tow out to irwindale when i get one i will. i guess you guys would have to see it from another point...... so here you go
i lived in colorado for a couple years and they only have one track ( bandamere ) its only open for a couple of months though and it usually gets rained out during test n tune nights but its a damn good track for what those guys got. it hooks with no vht and its 5,800 ft above see level which in turns makes us sea leval guys slow :yes: we should be lucky to have a " sh**ty " 1/4 mile that isnt a 4 hour drive like bakersfeild or the strip ( vegas ) i cant afford to drive that far :no: i understand thow cause you guys are saying the same thing " i dont have a trailer either " and " irwindale is only 10 minutes from me " ........ except you bob ( znova ) your excluded :yes: ........ the track is actually preped very well ive seen a couple of bumper dragers out there its them little ricer f***s with there street tires ruinning the pad :yes: it happens at irwindale too its no different........ to me i guess anyways like i said earlier please dont take this personal its just my opinion i dont want to make any enemies at all besides we all have 2 things in common and its novas and seeing if we can make our cars faster :yes: :D
jim nelson
Jim,

I don't think there is anything wrong with the track. I like it, but the way things are run there suck compared to Irwindale, and I'm mainly talking street legals.

If your going just to spectate, then go for it. I used to go all the time, but have'nt been in a while since Irwindale started. If you just want to watch, go to irwindale. Save Fontana for a PSCA event like Aron suggested.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Because of the population of So Cal and the lack of tracks, it is too bad Irwindale and/or Fontana could not have a both domestic day and an import day. It would solve everyone's problems and frustrations!!! Different strokes for different folks!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the feedback. i live about 20 min from fontana and irwindale is kinda out a ways for a thursday night but i might plan a trip out there in the near future. i think im going to check it out saturday if it gets bad i will just head home. hope to see some Nova's out there and plan on taking some pics.

thanks again

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Jim, you forgot that I've made the fontana drive in 107* heat an hour or more each way and ran very low 11's. And 1/8 mile says a lot about a cat if it's geared correctly. Most of the race is determined by the 330' mark. The rest is just fun and mph. Not often I get to legally take a street car (sorta) past 120 mph.

I suggest if you're local to the track to wait for a PSCA event and run your car. Better prep and no hassle. Fontana isn't bad, it's just far for most people.
no your right you did make the trip out here and yeah psca events do have a better prep im with craigt on this though ( different strokes for different folkes ) i dont mind irwindale to much ive been there before as well i actually use to go all the time a couple of years ago same car as a matter of fact i just never like 1/8 mile racing i guess.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Jim,

I don't think there is anything wrong with the track. I like it, but the way things are run there suck compared to Irwindale, and I'm mainly talking street legals.

If your going just to spectate, then go for it. I used to go all the time, but have'nt been in a while since Irwindale started. If you just want to watch, go to irwindale. Save Fontana for a PSCA event like Aron suggested.
yeah i agree with you dave the track could be ran better ive been in contact via email with the director of fontana to get night racing back during the summer months ......... when the track was on the south side they use to do this on street legal nights you would get 400 cars and the stands would be packed like irwindale ..... to bad they dont seem to agree with me :no: :( i dont think she is interested in it anymore i havent been getting responses to my emails for a least 3 months now , maybe ive become a nusense to her. well anyways i will go to support my local track and try irwindale sometimes i just hate hearing people rip into the only southern california dragstrip open to the public besides bakersfield ....... :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
hey,hey ...... whats with all the track bashing :mad: "i dont have a trailer either " and " irwindale is only 10 minutes from me " ........ except you bob ( znova ) your excluded :yes: ........ we all have 2 things in common and its novas and seeing if we can make our cars faster :yes: :D
jim nelson
Jim, I think you nailed it - we all have 2 things in common. As for me, I have have a long drive either way, but I am glad we still have 2 tracks and will continue to go to both. But I have to be selective because of the time and expense to get to/from either track and will support efforts to get another track going at Palmdale. For me the LA Invasion event was optimum, limited to 150 cars, short lines and held on the weekend. The Summit Series is also a good time to go, not as many cars and the wait gets shorter as the day goes on. We need to find a way to show our support when the tracks get it right and/or find a way to get them to listen. I can't understand why either track doesn't have more events that meet the needs of racers when there is so much demand!:mad: Mike, you have the most contacts here, any ideas on how we can get heard by the people making decisions?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
1/4 mile that isnt a 4 hour drive like bakersfeild
4 hours? It's less than 140 miles...try 2 hours. It's still farther than I like to go, but I did drive the Nova up there once. Got there about 9:00, got out of tech around noon, and at 6:00 P.M. was on my way back home again after TWO passes!!
Fontana is closer, but hotter, windier, crowded...oh yeah, I got 2 passes each the last 2 times at Fontana!!
They still don't have lights for night racing at Fontana, and may never have them with the whiny neighbor (singular) that complains.
I never thought I would like 1/8 mi. racing, but if you have a car that runs 100+ it's still fun. Kinda boring in slow cars, and it does get crowded. If you can hot lap, you can make 6 passes in a night--I see it every week. I've seen guys do all 6 license passes in one night.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Mike, you have the most contacts here, any ideas on how we can get heard by the people making decisions?
They have asked for suggestions, they just don't seem to care. For some reason Irwindale seems to pay way too much for their insurance, which I feel is a big issue with them; they don't want to pay for another day of salaries and insurance, unless they know it will pay off. They make more money renting the place a few hours for commercials than an entire day of racing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts