Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 days ago I posted how happy I was to find a guy to do the bodywork in my car, and 2 days ago I drove it to his shop as he was ready for it. That 15 mile drive almost felt as exciting as the first time I drove that car under its own power. I don't have many highway miles on my car so it was a little scary too. With a TH350 and 411 years running 55 is running high R's, so I was watching my gauges like a hawk. Made it fine and I was glad to leave it knowing work will be done on it I've dreamed about up to now. This guy's only going to do body work and no paint except primer, but I know painters that don't do body work. I'll be so happy to see the rusty old quarter panel fixed and the dents gone. Talked to him today and he made good progress in just a couple days. Going to look at it tomorrow and inspect progress. What better way to end the week!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I see what looks like a patch for the filler neck area. What are your plans for re locating the filler neck. I thought about doing something on my 65 but put it back stock. I'm looking for ideas for my 66 I'm planning on starting in a year or so.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see what looks like a patch for the filler neck area. What are your plans for re locating the filler neck. I thought about doing something on my 65 but put it back stock. I'm looking for ideas for my 66 I'm planning on starting in a year or so.
I put a fuel cell in the trunk so filling in the old cap area.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope he going to work the gap on the fender to the door hate to make comments before he's done just finding someone to do bodywork these days this is a "WIN"
Good eye ! That door alignment is a mess, he pulled the fender after I took these to work on the door hinges and pins then alignment. The door is sagging. It's not original to the car, and I think the person that installed it just bolted the hinges without any alignment. He is aligning and gapping all the panels. No offense taken. I'm always open to input from others!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 63 in my buddies shop..Almost looks like a model car.. this was 5 years ago.. it was so good to finally see it all done up.
Hey BBQ, looks like you did some customizing on your rear quarters. Is that kind of a Mustang look in front of rear fender wells? I can't wait to see my car painted gunmetal grey! Soon I tell ya!

·
Super Moderator
3,552 Posts
Don't be afraid to speak up during the process. Remember that you are the client, and of course you're not going to speak up combatively. But if there's something you see that you want changed or made different, that is THE time to do so, not later. You'll regret not speaking up later if the problem is not addressed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't be afraid to speak up during the process. Remember that you are the client, and of course you're not going to speak up combatively. But if there's something you see that you want changed or made different, that is THE time to do so, not later. You'll regret not speaking up later if the problem is not addressed.
Thanks Ally, I go by every other day and review work and discuss what's next. I trust this body man's 40 years experience. Everything he's done is to get the metal straight as possible, replaced rust with metal, and has pictures of each location. I do speak up and ask questions, he's open to anything. I am pleased. Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The last of the rust on this car is gone with this quarter panel work. Car will be covered in primer next week this time. And the drivers door is finally aligned pretty good.
20200305_112552.jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay in follow up. The corona virus deal caused delays and complications. The body work is done, car is finally one color, primer gray and I'm thrilled. Helped put on hood and trunk lid on my brief visit today. Bringing the car home next week to do more work on it, and continue talks with the painter. It's progress!
20200327_135731_resized_1.jpg
20200327_135725_resized_1.jpg
20200327_135800_resized_1.jpg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts