Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i seem to remember seeing people speak of mounting their front/rear glass flush. can't seem to find anything w/search. if you've done this mod & have pics of progress could you post them, please? i have to take care of the traditional rear window rust on my 67 cpe & i was considering options. tia. mike diaz

·
6,497 Posts
I flush mounted the front and rear glass on my 73 years ago and it's held up just fine.

Does your year car have the H channel that holds the glass in place ?. If so there might be some more work involved.

Basically what I did was take a strip of body gauge steel and had a buddy with a sheet metal brake put in steps in the metal with the top portion wide enough to reach the original steel on the roof and pillars, then had the next 90 degree bend put into it for the drop where the glass would be set into (taking into account the thickness of the glass and the butyl window rope caulk) and then bent in another lip that the butyl caulk would be and the glass on top of it. This level was wide enough to cover things and clear the existing window opening and then another 90 degree lip was bent into it to where later this would be bent even more to weld into the inside original window opening.

Sorry I don't have build pictures but it can be done. For finishing mine off I left about an 1/8" gape between the edge of the new metal and the glass for expansion and also to where I could install some "T" shaped glass moulding off of an 80's-90's Camaro.

I do know some curved sections I had to make my own stepped metal sections but if I would have had a sheet metal shrinker/expander I might have been able to make these sections without a lot of welding and finishing.

JIm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jim, thanks for your insight. still not sure where i'm going with this car ( after 16 yrs) --but i've got to do something ...lol. you helped me visualize the job better. mike

·
6,497 Posts
jim, thanks for your insight. still not sure where i'm going with this car ( after 16 yrs) --but i've got to do something ...lol. you helped me visualize the job better. mike
I hope I helped. One thing thinking back on my install is that I used paint sticks to hold the gap around the edges of the window while I had an original glass in there. Problem was the sun started setting and it reflected off of the back glass heating it up and all of a sudden I heard glass breaking and the rear glass shattered as it had no where to go up against the paint sticks. Luckily it was tinted and I was able to grab it in one big broken piece and throw it in the dumpster.

Thinking some more of my install, I welded the lower trim to the cowl and after doing bodywork, sprayed the cowl and lower trim the body color. When I've removed the cowl to check on my MSD system underneath it the cowl and lower trim come off as one piece. I only used modified clips at the base of the windshield to hold the cowl in place and discarded the edge trim clips that go into the side of the cowl sides above the upper door hinges. On the back glass lower edge I removed the original trim and made my own glass support and thin body panel but it is all welded into the car in that area.

Jim

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did a flush mount w/s and b/g on a 1970 chevelle and it tured out great. I used a never caravan w/s moulding around the b/g and w/s to fill in the gap. Now it took a good body guy with "vision" to make it work. He did all the modification with removing clip studs and minimizing the space between the glass and body. I don't see why you couldn't do this to a nova...good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, guys, for the ideas. if i've gotta do a lot of work, i may as well do it a little different, right? now all i need is the nerve to start it & find that "round-to-it' i misplaced quite a while ago. mike

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I was looking at an early 90s Acura Legend and it had clips that I'm going to try and make work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts