Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a built 72 nova with a 383 stroker and a turbo 400 transmission. Runs on e85. ? It was set up as a pro street.- But was also dragged at one time. - Mini tubs, cage, full worked engine and electrical all The goodies.

What is everyone’s recommendations on fluids. Oil/ tranny/ rear end.

I have a jug of Lucas 10/40 high zinc we had left over from my sprint car- was thinking of starting with that or???? Amsoil ?? Royal purple ?? Any ideas thanks !!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If it is a flat tappet cam, I would go for a high zinc oil. Otherwise on a roller, honestly, I don't see a difference. I ran my race engines on Rotella 15/40 and 5/40 synthetic. I have used regular Castrol gtx in them too. For the transmission, if you plan on racing it, you could go with a Type F fluid, but a regular Dexron III fluid is fine too. I used regular Castrol Type F in my t-400 and it lived fine behind my 565. And for the rear, regular Valvoline 75/90 with the limited slip additive is all I used in my 12 bolt. I didn't need the additive for the race car but it worked fine in the Nova with the Eaton differential as well. I know this may not be the answer you're looking for because I didn't call out any fancy fluids but its what I used bracket racing my cars for 25 years.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does the TH400 have a trans brake? If so I would recommend running the Lucas Marine synthetic type F. A few years back alot of additives were removed from transmission fluid. A few racers I know had transmission failures out of nowhere, and they switched to the Lucas Marine synthetic type F and no more problems. I put it in my trans and have not had any issues.
As far as oil goes, does your engine have a flat tappet cam? This is more of a controlling factor.

Rear diff - if you run a trans brake, I like the Redline Shockproof fluid. It seems to be some snake oil that actually works..

Good luck with your project. Any idea how much hp the engine makes? Any more details about the combination?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts