Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 29 years ago, I had the floppy vent issue with my 77. I took a thin 1/4" flat washer and slipped it between the vent and center divider, one washer on each side and it worked great.

Philip's solution is pretty smart too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I fixed my floppy air vents with correct parts directly from the Corvette Central catalog. They sell the identical vents and the foam for a factory correct perfect original replacement.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
The chrome vent inserts were used on many GM cars and differ in the amount of chrome used if any at all. Some are fully chromed, some just the leading edge and others are black. As far as the foam, what does it cost buying it from a Corvette supplier? I paid $3 for a 25 foot roll from the local hardware store and sealed all the plastic ducting seams with it too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My center vent was turning yellow from touching on the bottom. They sell both all chrome and partial black and I could not find these from any of the Nova suppliers. I did order the wrong ones first and sent them back. I paid more than that for the required foam pieces. I have to be perfect with my replacement parts (NOS/OER), total original show car. I wish that I had a local hardware store for some of my car needs!! Now if I was getting a tractor ready here I would be all set.

The chrome vent inserts were used on many GM cars and differ in the amount of chrome used if any at all. Some are fully chromed, some just the leading edge and others are black. As far as the foam, what does it cost buying it from a Corvette supplier? I paid $3 for a 25 foot roll from the local hardware store and sealed all the plastic ducting seams with it too.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
I understand your need for absolute accuracy, but what is different with the foam? The few remaining pieces I removed from the vents did not look to be anything special, just a meduim density foam strip with an adhesive back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sell the foam at lowes, even the mom and pop hardware store local has the stuff.

Personally you guys showing at acca events more power to ya. When I was minitrucking the popularity contests shrouded as a show ruined me. Got tired of showing up with a show ready truck to get bet by something with no paint and half the time didn't even run

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am sure that their is nothing at all different with the foam. Mine was cut to the exact length and happened to be available when I needed the vents. I am trying to go for gold because I cannot settle for silver only 29 points away and everything that was written up I can fix. I am skipping the Nova Nationals this year and will be wherever it is next year. It started today in PA. If I was close to a Lowes (30 miles) things may be easier. I just looked on line at the Corvette place and they had what I needed. As far as I know there has been very few if any 4th Gen Novas that have gone Gold in the Original Class. I am trying to do this beacuse we do not get the credit deserved. I admit I am probably the most anal 4th generation owner there is right now. Mark

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am far from gold or any metal in my Novas and other cars, but I admire anyone who is really going for perfection in a car that is commercially worth very little. True automotive passion showing!! Keep up the good work and raise the bar for all of us! Do you have a pic thread on your car? I would love to see the detail. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts