Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the body shop and while there I notice something that seems to be wrong. He had installed my floor pan plugs with the raise portion down into the hole. I bought new floor pan plugs, those oval shaped plugs that are secured on to the floor pan with screws and the photos I have of them on my car showed them secured to the floor pan with the raised portion up. GM Classic sells them and in their text they say to install them with the raised portion up. Looking at the floor pans of other cars shows them installed up and down. I want to think that UP is correct since mine were originally install in the UP position but now I'm not so sure.

Which is the correct way?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine were raised side down when I removed them for bodywork. Went back in raised side down with a bead of seam sealer to keep them there.
They fit in the drain hole like a puzzle piece. I can see why they would be screwed in if you put them in upside down.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after reading a lot of threads on this and other sites, it seems there is no real answer as they were installed in both directions. What was common is the purpose of the holes was to drain metal cleaning liquid after the final wash before going to paint.

It seems some think the plugs would be installed with the raised side up to allow for a smooth surface across the hole. Since the holes were no longer used for anything, then a smooth surface for the interior makes sense. I was leaning toward installing them with the indention up as mine were done that way but was also interested in how other cars were done. Now we know they were installed both ways.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Every car I've had they were raised side up, But who knows what the drunks did at all the different plants.:turn:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there we have it. Raised part down and raised part up, with most of you guys saying your car came with the raised part down. Sellers saying install with raised part up. My car came with raised part up. Other GM website threads for Chevelle and Camaro saying both ways. So, that makes it definite, we really don't know what is correct. Right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts