Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1973 Nova, TH350 Trans

What's the correct way to wire reverse lights and the neutral safety to a Hurst Shifter? (Pictured below)

I connected wires to the two terminals located on the shifter. I tested the resistance to confirm that the wires only engaged in the park and neutral shift positions.

I connected each wire to the purple and purple/white wires that were connected to the neutral safety switch above the steering column. The car starts in neutral and park with no problem.

I tried connecting the pink and green reverse lights to the shifter wires and the starter engaged instantly as I inserted the key into the ignition. What's the correct way to wire the reverse lights to a Hurst shifter?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
It sounds like you have correctly identified the car's neutral safety switch wires (purple & purple/white). And you have identified the neutral safety switch on the shifter (has continuity only in park & neutral positions). So you were correct in connecting those together.

It also sounds like you have correctly identified the car's reverse light wires (pink & green). But where exactly did you try connecting these on the shifter?

With the starter engaging instantly with the key, it sounds like you might have also connected these reverse light wires to the shifter's neutral safety switch (along with the purple wires). The shifter should have a separate reverse light switch where you can connect the pink & green wires. And if it doesn't, you'll probably have to check with Hurst to see if a reverse light switch is a separately available option for your shifter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you have correctly identified the car's neutral safety switch wires (purple & purple/white). And you have identified the neutral safety switch on the shifter (has continuity only in park & neutral positions). So you were correct in connecting those together.

It also sounds like you have correctly identified the car's reverse light wires (pink & green). But where exactly did you try connecting these on the shifter?

With the starter engaging instantly with the key, it sounds like you might have also connected these reverse light wires to the shifter's neutral safety switch (along with the purple wires). The shifter should have a separate reverse light switch where you can connect the pink & green wires. And if it doesn't, you'll probably have to check with Hurst to see if a reverse light switch is a separately available option for your shifter.
That's exactly what happened. Thanks for your confirmation. I'll contact Hurst and see if another switch is necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts