Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 700r4 was running hot - installed a new cooler in front of the radiator, with infrared sensor was around 220 now around 170 - so thats good - i did flush the fluid out as the other was probably not in too good of shape. Shifts real hard again, but the #%^ floor shifter and center console plate still get hot to the touch - not burning hot, but rather uncomfortable to Hold onto.
Sensor puts it at 113.... So what gives - are our cars just this way or is there something I should be checking?
Not certain what stall I have - the tranny was a gift/surprise from the wife and you know you don't ask too many questions when that happens.
Thx
Greg

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
depending on how close the case is to the floor you'll experience heat transfer. i don't know what shifter you're using but if it has any mass to it and it's bolted directly to the case you'll have transfer there too...

what about some sort of insulation under/inside the console? dynamat under the carpet?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Is there a seal between the tunnel and the console? RICK

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it is a stock shifter (?)

I installed fatmat under the carpet and under the console...

The shifter connects to a rod that runs horizontal in the tunnel to the connecting point on the tranny. I do not think there is any direct contact between the tranny case and the tunnel..

I'm just not certain as I am finally getting the car dialed in ..

guess I have more dialing to do...

on a positive note after installing the HEI distributor the car is not cutting out anymore.. drove it for about an hour and 45 minutes tonight - went to Rubys in Whittier for the Friday night "cruise in"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not certain what stall I have - the tranny was a gift/surprise from the wife and you know you don't ask too many questions when that happens.
Thx
Greg
The wife bought you a transmission? You don't know what she bought, but you installed it anyways? Maybe ask your wife about the stall speed?... It's too much for my mind to get around....

Is your exhaust close to the tranny?...:)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wife bought you a transmission? You don't know what she bought, but you installed it anyways? Maybe ask your wife about the stall speed?... It's too much for my mind to get around....

Is your exhaust close to the tranny?...:)
It was in the shop having a bunch of work done when I first bought it. Went to pick it up and look down and yup - they installed the 709R4. She says "SURPRISE"...
Checked all the paperwork layer on and the stall is not listed. So maybe they used the one that was on the TH350 or???
This was two years ago and I was not having issues then, and they don't remember now when I talked to them.
I was not about to start asking a bunch if questions after she spent money on the Trans/cross member / new shaft / install etc.... Plus she is not a car person....
It is what it is....

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If the headers are really close to the tranny you might want to installed heat wrap around the collectors might help some. Can you see how big the hole is cut in the tunnel where the trans linkage goes thru? RICK

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
if your tranny temps are normal I would think your getting hot air blowing up through the hole in the floor. I have my hole sealed with a hurst rubber shifter boot and sound mat. my shifter goes right into my tranny and doesn't get hot.:no:
Oh and lets pretend I didn't open any doors....

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
David you're tranny doesn't get hot hmmmm? MELISSA!!!!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Melissa isnt a tranny. :no: Greg thats the stock shifter. I would be concerned the plastic button might melt. I dont think you can use a 350 torque converter on a 700 r4. Like has already been said, check for header collector heat. Convert to ramhorns like I did. :yes:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
??????????????? Take it back to the shop you paid to work on it & ASK them to look @ it & fix the problem & I would think if you told them what was wrong they could fit it

. Later Larry Mc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts