Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a PM with a question about what shifter I'm using with my 200-4R install in my '63. Thought I'd post the info here in case it would be of interest to others as well.

My plan has always been to leave the interior as close to stock as possible. I've been determined to use the original console. I'm using the Lokar floor mounted shifter that I ordered from Summit:

I don't remember what length I got...10"?, 12"? :confused: The body of the shifter is too large to fit it completely under the console, so I removed the plate from the console that has the PRNDL on it and offset the shifter as far to the right of the existing hole in the floorboard as I could. My plan is to combine a custom made plate and a Lokar boot to finish the job. But I haven't worked out the details yet. My only disappointment is that Lokar doesn't make a round, white knob for the top of the shifter to more closely match the original :(
Lokar sends three "arms" to get the proper offset to connect the linkage between the shifter and the tranny. I used the "medium" one and it worked out well.

I knew that I'd regret leaving my camera at home today! :rolleyes: I took some pictures last night that would help explain this. I'll try to get them posted soon.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I too had the same problem with my 64 SS when I put a 700 R4 in it. I'm a toolmaker by trade. I ended up making a custom shifter. I used a Chevette body and the rest made from scratch. I made a handle that had the same length and taper as stock. It even has detents and a reverse lockout. I used the C-vette trans arm with a custom shift arm. I also used a neutral safety switch from Dakota Digital which picks up the back up lights too. All parts were heat treated for durability. It looks great and cannot be detected from a stock shifter. It was a lot of work, about 40-50 hours.

Tim

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chevy Kid said:
It was a lot of work, about 40-50 hours.

Tim
Whoa! I wish I had the talent (or the patience) to do that nice of a job. Any pics?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are a couple pics that may help.

You can see the linkage underneath in this one:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
NIce job on that shifter

Love that job on the shifter. But who let the rain in the vert?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Thanks Merdin, that looks so cool. Thanks! Am looking forward to doing the same conversion. Thanks for sharing your skills and talents. Jay........

·
Registered
38 Posts
you have to use a lokar PN sk-6878 to use the stock knob on a lokar shifter makes it so you push down on the whole ball for reverse lockout.....works like a charm....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts