Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question guys,im replacing floor pans and on one side its kinda rusty up on one side of my drive shaft tunnel.not to awful bad , but i was wondering can a 2 inch spot b fiberglassed where the curve to the tunnel starts up.it costs about 100 dollars more for the pan tjhat goes up the side a little.just tring to save a little money thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
X2 on that. I've done my share of " saving money". Fiberglass is not the best fix :no: I've gone as far as using chicken wire and bondo. I was 14 and literary used chicken wire to patch a hole and bondo and fiber glassed over it. Find yourself a scrap of metal and weld that sucker in. Fiberglass will work if you've gotta do it but not recommended.

Bottom line, yea you could use fiberglass to patch it but replacing the metal is the way to go for quality and longevity of repair.

P.S.
DO NOT USE FOAM TO FILL HOLES AND BONDO/GLASS OVER THEM
My '63 had foam in every panel and bondo over top of it all:mad:. it was a pain to get out. Save yourself and do it right the first time:yes:

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
If this is not a show car or high dollar project, you can cut a piece of scrap metal to cover the hole and glue it in with body panel glue (used on modern cars) or some super strong metal epoxy (the ones you can tap, sand, paint, etc.). I have used this solution in this past with great results.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I'D DO LIKE THE GUYS SAID, CUT IT OUT AND FAB IN A PIECE OF SHEETMETAL! I WOULDN'T GLUE IT, EVEN THOUGH THAT'S THE NORM ON NEWER CARS. BUT THE ASSURANCE OF IT BEING WELDED AND THERE TO STAY IS COMFORTING! :yes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Show car or not, the $100 shortcut now can result in several hundred dollars of headache later when the quickie fix has to be redone.

While money is tight everywhere it seems these days, the best answer is do it the right way as much as possible. In my experience I always end up being dissatisfied when I try to cut corners and generally end up going back and doing it the right way the second time. There are savings in both time and materials to just do it the right way first.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Show car or not, the $100 shortcut now can result in several hundred dollars of headache later when the quickie fix has to be redone.

While money is tight everywhere it seems these days, the best answer is do it the right way as much as possible. In my experience I always end up being dissatisfied when I try to cut corners and generally end up going back and doing it the right way the second time. There are savings in both time and materials to just do it the right way first.
X2
do it once do it right

1 - 7 of 7 Posts