Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! The floor pans are in. Had to chop and combine both a front half floor pan and a toe board from Classic Muscle (nice folks, by the way), but they are in at last ... even with my crummy amateurish welding. :beer:

Speaking of welding ... I'm using a Lincoln Handi-Mig (110 v) with mixed gas. I used a sanding disk to get the edges shiny clean, and still had way too much pop-pop-popop-pop!:( I'd get a nice puddle going and then pop-pop-pop. I tried changing power, feed speed, pushed the puddle, pulled the puddle...never did get it figured out. Anyone know what causes this?

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How much gas flow are ya usin Dave? And I think on those when you change to solid wire, you hafta change the polarity from flux-core welding. Or, it could be the bottom side of the panel youre welding is dirty. Its best to clean BOTH sides, especially with thin metal, as the dirt from the bottom side will taint your weld just as bad as the dirt on the top. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
If you are welding were there is a breeze that can cause the pocket of gas to move away from the weld also. For that you have to crank up your flow rate a bit. I would aslo do as suggested and check your polarity, that can cause what your talking about. If you have someone to help you have them adjust your wire speed while your welding on some scrap metal. Tune the welder to you get that bacon sizzle going really good. It will come to you after a while. I can use my welder fairly often and can usually dial it it before I start based on the thickness of the metal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm no expert, but sometimes its caused due to contaminated metal, meaning the old panel your welding to may have pitted rust, or a coating thats not letting you get a good contact.

I had a problem when I was doing my floor and patching an area, where the metal was thin and pitted, I ground and cleaned it the best I could but could'nt get in all the pitts.

Not sure if you had any of the same problems but that was one of mine and if your heat is too high.

Ohh and need a good ground.

Later,

Richard

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
IMO it's the zinc coating they used on the parts when it was built that makes it pop and blow holes and such. It like gets into the metal or something cause you can't sand it all off. I get past that by stich welding the panels in. I just weld a stitch move a little and stitch again. Never been able to weld much before the heat allows the zinc to gas up and go pop. You might try that and see if it will work for you too. That's the only way I am able to weld them nice. RM

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Real, that is exactly what was happening. Get a good sizzle for about 3/4 inch that POP!! I stiched the panel, and it is in solid, but just not very pretty ... know what I mean??

Also, did not do much to clean the other side of the panel. Can that make it pop? Can't do much with the gas flo, I am using a fixed/flo regulator from Lincoln. Don't think breeze is a problem, but who knows. I was welding outside but under a canopy and inside the car. Mostly I am a welding doofus and that's probably the cause of most of the problems!!:eek:

dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I sand blasted the entire under side of my last Nova as well as the entire floor pan area inside. Then I cut the old floor pans out and installed the new ones. It still popped and farted if I did anything more than stitch weld it and while I'm not the greatest welder alive I have been doing it for 40 yrs. RM

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A "fixed" flow regulator? Ive never seen one that was fixed before. :confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
first off you should not be trying to run a bead here....small yet penetrating tacks will work out the best

the thing with any type of welding is that if they look bad (porous, too cold) they are NOT solid, while its hard to tell in the pic, sounds like you have some porous welds. sometimes they seem solid till you break out the grinder on em and see how fast you can cut them down.....

i have never heard of a fixed flow regulator either, what is it fixed at

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what its fixed at, but that's what came with the little welder kit. Screw it onto the bottle; little black rubber hose to the welder. Looks like a regulator but no gages or knobs.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. That's what I love about this board!!:D

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
A fixed flow regulator is like one that comes on your propane grille. I call them pre set or non adjustable regulators. They come on alot of stuff. RM

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Wowee, I never realized that. I wonder what rate they flow at...any idea? :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts