Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts
At least it isn't a modern car. After a deep flood, the electronics in a modern car aren't savable, and a pain to replace.

Looks good in pictures but think: water went EVERYWHERE. Soaked in it, not just rained on and dried off. Even if it had a good outward appearance to the body panels, you're looking at rust from the inside out, and I'd think there would be integrity problems over time. If it were an SS or 4-speed car or something, it might be worth a total, but I just don't see it past parts.

·
14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it's probably only a parts car, but it could solve a lot of trim problems for someone restoring a '65 Nova 400 four door. Hard to tell from pictures, but the front end trim, grill, etc. looks pretty good. Will the back window glass fit both 2 and 4 door sedans? Might be a deal for someone if they could get it for 2K. Doesn't take long to run through $2000 in rare '65 trim.

Bob

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I somewhat disagree.
once tis drained and only if its drained properly and dried out.rust wont be an issue.its the sand and crap that holds the moisture that makes rust.clean out thourouly {carpet headliner seats included} and car will be fine.
having said that ...it wont be easy.
its the winter salt that I would steer away from.jmo!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
This one is screaming a chemical strip bath and reassembling. Not going to say it going to be cheap but its fairly complete

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
A"Sandy" victim, as in hurricane? That would most likely mean the water was brackish water (a mixture of fresh water with salt water), so I agree with Bob.

Most likely a parts car candidate, as COMPLETE disassembly (rear differential internals, brakes, power glide, all floor and rocker sheetmetal, etc...) would far outpace the value of the hard to find trim.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think you could take the seats out. door panels off, and the floor carpet or mat and use a garden hose, in the quarter panels and doors and also the trunk area to rinse the salt and debris and lastly the floor and rear end cover and all brake drums and gas tank.Get a shop vac and a couple fans to dry it up and will be fine.

·
14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given the meager facts in the eBay ad, it's almost impossible to speculate on the condition of this car. Hurricane Sandy happened in 2012. What's this car's life story over the past 7 years? What was the extent of the flooding? How long did it sit before any attempt was made to resurrect it? Many of these cars sat inside garages in damaged homes for weeks before anybody could get to them. Was the current title holder the owner in 2012? Does he know all the details of the flooding? Were the carpets and seats ever removed and dried out? Did salt water sit inside the doors for a prolonged period? Had the rust perforation shown in the pictures started before the flooding? Dozens of unanswered questions.

We know that salt water is extremely corrosive. So much so, that some insurance carriers automatically write off a salt water flooded car no matter the extent of the flooding.

Over the years, most of us in this hobby have been advised to stay away from any flood car, salt water or fresh. Nobody seems anxious to have this one, either. No bids as of June 30th.

Bob

·
14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back on eBay once more. Maybe 3rd time's the charm! Has yet to receive a bid in it's first two auctions.

Bob

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Saltwater and a 4 door, looks like too much money. Fresh water might have been a little more forgiven, but still priced too high especially if someone has to pay transport and not local pickup.

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Having grown up near the ocean I can attest to the havoc salt water / air / fog wreaks on cars. It collects in the seams and cracks as the water evaporates. If it has been sitting for those years with salt remaining in the Chevy II's poorly protected inner structures, there could be some serious rot in its initial stages and still out of site.

My plan would be to get it back on the road and cruise around in it until problems surfaced (if they ever did). If it started to rot, parts car time :D :yes: Lots of good stuff on that one still.

And yes, the 2-door / 4-door rear glass, seal and stainless is the same. The diecast extension on the sail panel varies though.

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Someone placed a bid on it. If you have a 65 in need of parts it could be a good option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts