Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which way does a 400 sbc flexplate go on? The bolt holes line up either way, its just one way the ring gear is farther away from the block.I've never done this before as I always had a standard.

·
Registered
151 Posts
is this a replacement flexplate? if not you should see where the 'star' washers
set into the plate. also you should be able to tell wher the odd shape of the crank lines up with the flex plate. those flexplates are weighted and should only go on one way! perhaps your machine shop pulled the dowel pin? if you put it on wrong then you will have a vibration. bad!
look at it closely you will see.
let us know.
eric

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I stated , I had a standard tranny before, this is a new flexplate from B&M I believe. I know they are weighted but it will fit either side and I did not know which was which. I will use maxturbo's picture and try to see if I have any success.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Usually where the converter bolts to the flexplate, the flexplate is stamped out around the converter bolt holes. Those go towards the converter. Dave

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
65 Post said:
Usually where the converter bolts to the flexplate, the flexplate is stamped out around the converter bolt holes. Those go towards the converter. Dave
exactly....the standoffs (for lack of a better name) they stamp into the flexplate go towards the convertor lugs...;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Generally the holes that the convertor bolts to have a raised mounting pad which always points to the convertor.

Looking at this flexplate, you are looking at the engine side of it. Remember that the hole in between the mounting holes should go to the dowel in your crank assuming you have one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts