Chevy Nova Forum banner

flexplate shield

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Ironman 
#1 ·
good evening :)

due to new regulatories i have to install a flexplate shield on my sbc/th400 combo. transmission blanket and engine diaper are already installed.

there is no way to install the shield because of not enough clearance between tranny and original firewall. has anyone fixed this problem on a '70 ?

thank you very much in advance

carl

#2 ·
The only way you can install a shield is without a firewall or at least a heavilly modified one. Even the CSR's won't fit. I see you're in another country but who is saying you need one? Over here one is not required until you're car is going 9.99 or faster.

#3 ·
thank you for the response

i'm from germany. since 2012 you have to install an engine diaper, a transmission blanket and a flexplate shield when you car is going faster than 10.99 in bracket classes. :mad:

my nova is running around 10.3 on 1/4 and 6.4 on 1/8.

i guess i have to switch to a sfi bellhousing....or modify the shield "a little bit".

greets carl

#8 ·
I had a CSR full length shield on my TH400 in my 68. I had to make my trans tunnel bigger in the middle area, but did nothing to the firewall except put an access hole behind the gas pedal for a bellhousing bolt.

It was still a bit of a challeng to get the trans in because, I had to let the motor lean back so I can access the top center bellhousing bolt with a very long extension from underneath the car, but it can be done.

So I would imagine you could use just the CSR flexplate shield with a blanket if you wanted to or use the Superbell as suggested.

#13 ·
thanks for the instructions :)

I'm thinking about ordering the j.w. bellhousing....which model would you prefer for SBC - TH400?

by the way: do the longer bolts come with the bell?

greets carl
It comes with correct bolts. You need to order the one that matches you transmission. Mine was for a T-350 because that is the transmission I was running.

#16 ·
As mentioned, running the CSR full length shield is a tight squeeze. I had to raise up my shifter location just to get the cable routed in because of lack of space between the shield and floorpan/trans tunnel on my TH400. I now just run a J.W. ultrabell and a blanket for legal 9 second trips. More room than before.

Derek

#19 ·
For those of you who don't want to cut trans. Deist sells a long trans blanket that bolts to the back 2 intake bolts and covers all the way back to the front of the tail shaft . It is SFI and They have no problem as it covers both the flex plate and the planets.
Heavy, and a pain to install But if you have a odd ball car or other special needs it is out there .

#20 ·
Another vote for the ultrabell. Easy to install. I cracked a housing and this has been my solution ever since. No clearance issues other than the top passenger side bolt needs slipped in the housing first, then slid on the engine pins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.