Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tried to install my starter from the old engine, I learned that my 383 has a 168 tooth flexplate. So, one of those nice looking mini starters. When I went to bolt it in, the bendix was engaged with the ring gear. Four starters later, I had the old heavy style that worked. Sort of. It didn't always engage the ring gear. I did some measuring and found that the ring gear was .22 closer to the block than on my old engine.
At this point I'm looking to see if was on backward, it was on correctly. I emailed Scat Cranks and asked if there could be some variance in the mounting surface on the crank and should be shimmed to correct the condition. They were very helpful and we decided that there would not be that kind of variation on the crank. Time to take the flexplate out of the car.
I took it up to a well recommended balance shop, because it was balanced and that needed to be repeated, put mine and a new one side by side and mine was significantly higher in the center than the new one.

Problem solved. It was the first time the shop owner had seen a mis-shaped flexplate. I replaced it with a certified plate and the new one fits like it should and the starter engages like it should.

·
Registered
797 Posts
flex plate

I had the same issue with an SFI flex plate, the mini starter had to be shimmed almost .170" out to clear the drive gear. The runout at the OD was not good either, there was about .106" which will lead to damage to the drive gear and flex plate as they do not match. OFF SHORE JUNK PERIOD, and it was from a compant with two letters in the name , not "A" but very close.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have a scat crank and a scat flexplate as well. I am running a TCI mini starter and it works perfect. I shimmed it on the engine stand before I installed the engine. Been on there a year now and a little over 2500 miles.

My last 406 in my 71 Nova I had to put the thick shim and a few others as well and shimmed it too on the engine stand. No problems out of it either.

If the bendix is too close to the flexplate(both of mine were not) then the mini starter comes with a shim washer that puts the bendix further away from the flexplate.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine

Actually, the bad one was made in Mexico. When I made a disparaging remark about that to the balance shop guy, he said the Mexican stuff is really good. In a strange turn of events, he did the balance work for the guy who built my engine. It's a very small world.
I just drove the car and it's working like it's supposed to....finally.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I had a Scat SFI flexplate in our dragster in the beginning of the season. It was so out of round it wasn't funny. I called CPP, who I bought it from and he said to send it to him. I called in a week to make sure he got it. He said that my starter was too close. I told him it wasn't and you could clearly see that it was almost to the bottom of the teeth on one end and almost out at the other. He said he's send it to Scat. After over a month I called him back and he said Scat said the same thing. And that they weren't going to do anything about it. Funny that I can put any other flexplate on and not have a problem. I'll never buy another Scat flexplate again. Dave

·
Registered
797 Posts
fit

The best advice I can give is to set it all up BEFORE the engine is in the car, and even run the starter to be sure it all works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts