Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've never seen a flex fan that could come close to a stock clutch fan--we have a pretty good collection of them on the "Wall of Shame" at the shop.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bowtie. I would have never guessed that. I have a stock clutch fan and they are just so ugly, I figured I would get a flex fan figuring they would be more efficient anyways. I guess I'll stick with the ugly fan.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I had a flex fan on my car and needed to get it smogged. The guy working on it wouldn't do anything to my car until I agreed to take it off. He took it off and pitched it out and put on a flyswatter until I could find a clutch fan. He said that there were all kinds of problems with these things at the track. Going through hoods etc.

Cooling problems were reduced with the stock type fan. Go figure.

Don't do it.

ray

·
Registered
438 Posts
I never knew this until one day I saw it in Summit but there are two different types of clutches for the clutch fan. One is thermal, engaging as temperature increases. The other is rpm dependent. The faster you turn your engine the more the clutch engages. When I used to run a belt driven fan at the dragstrip I opted for the rpm dependent clutch because I figured it would be more consistent ET wise. It didn't really want to turn more than 5000 rpm though, it would but you could feel the drag.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I will never use another flex fan. I had a cheap one develop cracks but caught it before any damage. But I wasn't so lucky with the other one as a blade broke off when it was fairly new. Can't beat a good clutch fan set up for cooling ability, reliability with minimal power loss.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/7-blade-flex.html I put this on after my old fan setup gave up. Lost the water pump, fan, fan clutch , radiator and shroud. I don't know what went first.
if you're not careful you could lose a finger with one of those too...OUCH!!!

I used a 7 blade truck fan and thermal clutch on just about every street driven car I've owned. Even in my 64 when I used to drive it everyday to school. Same fan/cluch assembly went 10.30's in Pomona back in 1995. Cools great when needed the most. Works even better with a fan shroud.

I also used one of those plastic fans: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-418/
on my 64 with my 406 engine. Never had any issues with overheating or noise or drag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts