Chevy Nova Forum banner

Flat paint %

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TechNova 
#1 ·
Getting ready to paint dash in my 65. The top of dash is a flat finish. Does anyone know the % of flatting agent needed to reproduce the finish?

P.S. The interior color is Red if that helps.

Thanks to all in advance.

#2 ·
This is not an exact science, because the flat/gloss ratios weren't adhered to exactly. I've read that GM's flat/gloss index was 0-100 with '0' being totally flat and 100 totally gloss. Dashes are listed as '0' and the other interior sheet metal as 60. I don't believe this was always the case. My '63 Nova SS had original interior paint and the dash certainly wasn't 100% flat. I've also heard the amount of flattening agent added was frequently hit and miss. This is evidenced by the glove box doors on 1st generation Chevy IIs that frequently have a different gloss/flat look to the rest of the dash. It appears they were painted at a different time and obviously with a 'close enough' flat/gloss ratio. So it was in the 60s!

Bob

#8 ·
Ok. I use PPG so i could have gave you a detailed description on what I do. Ultimately you'll want a sheen in the middle of eggshell and flat. Thats what i use on dash pads. I quick looked up dupont paint on how they mix the flattening agent, and looks like you have semi gloss, eggshell, and flat, to choose from. If i was doing it, I would add a little more flatter(half of the weight of volume in between eggshell and flat) to achieve in the middle of of eggshell and flat. So if you needed 100 grams of flattening agent to get eggshell, and flat called for 150 grams, i would mix 125 grams. Again, i only did a little research on dupont. When i use ppg, I use MC02 Sheen which is a Matte finish. It gives it a nice velvet look.

#6 ·
i talked to a guy last summer that had just got his early 60's chevy painted. he had a white gloss on his dash. he said he hated the color an gloss as it reflected white up onto his windshield in the sun.

#11 ·
Each paint company is going to be different in the amount of flattener to add.
There is often more than one flattener within a brand also. The paint jobber should be able to mix it to your needs. It is you preference as they were not all the same form the factory. I have sprayouts of low gloss blacks I use for different things, I may not always use the correct one but I use what I like.
With a base clear you only flatten the clear. With a single stage you have to put on at least two wet coats to get it to flatten right, Too little film build will
cause it to be glossier. I also never force dry, let it air dry slow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.