Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any pics of a 66-67 nova done up in matte or flat black paint?
whats your opinion on that type of paint combo... not going to paint mine anytime soon but i think it would be sweet to do one up flat black with some chrome steelies (or red corvette rallys) and white wall tires, saw a 56 chevy done up like that and it looked amazing.. lets see some pics fellas!!!

only thing is i never see a car painted like that bring any kind of money, do u think it cheapens it?? just curious

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
i think a flat paint job is good for a car that is under construction but i feel like it would be hard to call a car finished with flat paint on it(unless its a rat rod)

check out 1badnov's longroof, he has a link to pictures of it in his signature, it is more of a matte paint job and the car is beautiful

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,635 Posts
Search for threads by Stangs4sale in the 1st/2nd Gen section. He has a 4 door cut to a 2 door that had a rattle can paint job.

·
Registered
914 Posts
My opinion. Our '66-'67's are too modern a car for red rims and whitewall tires. I do like the look of a flat black car while it's in transition but it never looks finished. The vast majority of people will not appreciate all your hard work.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I was also thinking of a semi flat black for my 64 with its current red interior. I've done the rattle can route a couple times. But i'm going to use a paint gun this time. It quicker and easier on the trigger finger. I was in Lowes yesterday looking in their paint dept. I was considering Rustoleum satin black. It should just take a couple quarts at $9 per quart. I might go with a flat white. possibly on the roof. I'm not sure yet. Even ruddy brown looks like a possibility. I just know I can't afford real auto paint right now. Anything would look better than the surface rust and worn white paint thats on it now. I've even thought of painting my rims red as well. I'm not concerned with resale value because I don't plan on selling it. Plus, I like the look.
Besides, mines going to be a daily driver, not a show car. Painting it a flat or semi flat means I don't have to wax it. All it will need is a simple soap and water wash from time to time. I want to enjoy the car, not clean it all the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with Stroker. Too modern a car for red wheels and white walls (ugg).

The LOOK would be with bigs & littles on big & little ralley wheels. And keep the tires black.

You want a bad *** look more than you want an unfinished circus wagon look, don.t you? Unless, maybe, if it's a four door.

And would that hurt the value of it? Yes, if I was a serious buyer.

Of course, to each his own. That's why Hinez has 57 varities.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Not a 66/67 but you get the idea

this paint is made to last its SEM hotrod matte black HR010 and you can wash it and rub your greasy fingers on it, you need 2 kits and no primer to get this finish.

·
Registered
996 Posts
i've posted the pic of my wife's 64 fairlane on here a few times.
i won't post it again, but if anyone wants to see it i'd be more than happy to link it here.
her car is flat black with red steelies. no white walls. not sure white walls would look good on a car this new.

if you use paint and not primer then you can wash it when ever you want.
if a bird drops a deuce on your deuce just wash it.

my wife's car is painted with rustoleum, it's more of a temp paint setup, but if it stays that way for the life of the car that would be fine.

i don't think a real automotive flat black paint job would lower the value of the car. it might limit the amount of buyers for it, but if the paint is good quality then the value of the car would be fine.

my nova is going to be painted flat white, i like flat paint on my cars.

·
Registered
362 Posts
We had a recent experience with a 62 Impala Convertible at my shop. The guy who does my painting used the SEM Hot Rod Black to paint the car. The worst thing about it was that after its shot, you have what you have. Dirt, shadows, haze or whatever it may be is there and you can't fix it becaue you can't buff it. Also, it still has to be worked before you can proceed with a finish coat when the time comes to put final paint on it. The end result is we are going with normal shiny black. Too many variables...washing was also one of our concerns.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I really love the satin black on an old 30's or 40's street rod especially 32 to 34 coupes. I am currently looking for a 55 Chevy 2 door sedan to build. I want to go for that old school hot rod look and unless I change my mind I'll be using some single stage urethane satin black paint. I've noticed that Eastwood and Summit have this color in their new lines of urethane paint. I think it would really look good painted that color.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am currently painting my '66 Wagon (1 section at a time) in Eastwood Self-Etching black primer. It will be good enough till I get the $$$ for a real paint-job.

I might add in the SEM system above as well. That look pretty nice. My final paint choice will be Butternut Yellow with all the chrome from my 400 series put back on.

DW

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I personally like the flat/satin black look, but if you're worried about resale value don't even think about it. Your buyer market would be very low. Mine is satin black because it was cheap to do, I like the look, and I don't have to worry about scratches or rock chips ruining a $10,000 paint job. I can re-shoot it anytime I need to for around $200-$300. And if you use actual paint, you can wash it just fine. It won't stain any easier than any other paint will. Now you can go this route. If you want a flat/satin black paint that you can really work with you can base/clear it. You spray the black base, then cover it with a flat clear. It's expensive, but you can cut and buff it and it won't get shiny, it stays flat black, but is a smooth paint job and the protection of a clear coat system.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts