Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas,
Currently trying to bend up some steel 3/8 fuel for my LS1 swap.
and man is it tough, i have a bender that works like pliers but as i bend with one hand(with the bender in the other) it makes the tubing collapse.

Can aluminum tubing handle flares? The PSI load? i am using compression nuts to fit the lines to the tank and fuel rail fittings.

Also, are there any benders out there that can do really clean 90° bends?

Any recommendations on how to solve this would be appreciated:eek:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Find a tubing bender with deeper grooves & larger radius. I got one from the cheap tool store that works great. Don't know about psi on flares.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have a spring set I use for bending brake lines and fuel lines. NAPA carries them. A kit comes with springs ranging from 1/8" ID - 1/2: ID. It slides over the tube and you bend away. The old timers used to fill the lines with sand and bend it that way. I'm not too fond of putting sand in my fuel or brake line but in a pinch I'm sure it would work. My 93 yr old gramps taught me that one.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Geez, with the right hand bender you can do smooth 90's on stainless lines. If you are going to do it right, get a professional bender. Swagelok and Parker Hannifin make really good tubing benders but they can be pricey. You can find them used on Ebay.
Graingers has some relatively inexpensive, but good tubing benders. The compound ones are useful for making multiple bends. Every good hot rod fabricator should have more than a few types and sizes in their toolbox.

This one does stainless 3/8" tubing. Only $287.25! Quality costs money.

You can find this and more here:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?operator=prodIndexRefinementSearch&originalValue=bender+tubing&L1=Benders%2C

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
...is there an aircraft/aviation supply store, or an A/C hose maker/supplier near you (or check the Internet)? If so, consult them about what you're trying to do.

As far as the flare part of the equation...I use a Roto-Flare (aviation type) that flares all of my hard lines (stainless and aluminum) at 37-degrees for AN fittings.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know of a AC place around the neighbor hood, i will ask them for some advice as well.

Paul, thats a nice bender BUT! well you know:( only bending tubing once? but i saw similar benders for a lower price :)

I will try to work with the steel, but that 90° bend is going to be crucial for that fuel rail to firewall clearance.:eek: i'll try to get a pic in.

you guys are the best Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have a few benders. Everything from a really bad HF pot metal bender to some nice 24" arm benders. Here is an inexpensive one I picked up years ago. It will bend the steel line. Lube the die up and go to town. And they are inexpensive and will do a 3/8" tube. JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts