Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger and bought a Flaming River SS 30" column with 3/4"-36 connection for my 63 Nova. This unit is the full model with Stainless Steel, Column Shift, Overdrive Lens, Neutral Safety Switch (Backup lights).
Cost was $1016 with IDIDIT dash mount (polished, nicer version).
I documented details at
http://63nova.nextmill.net/column/

Up Close Pictures at
http://63nova.nextmill.net/column/pics.html

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Makes me think about keeping my stock column

But it NEEDS replaced and will compliment my Church Boys set up. What are you other guys spending for the brushed versions? I was thinking around 700 with the mount and couplers for a 66.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Pricey? Yeah I'd say it is. Those things definately have gone up lately. I thought $200-$300 was expensive.
What justifies a grand for a steering column?
I know they are nice and all. but i'm shocked to say the least.
When I went to put a tilt steering colum setup in my 64 recently, I used the old school method. I used the 72-78 GM van column. The very column that Ididit and Flaming River patterned their columns off of in my opinion. Other than the polished or brushed finish, they look identical.
It takes a little work, but I got mine to fit and work with the mustang steering rack, kept the stock van shifter and shift indicator on the column and made it work with the TH350 trans by using the shift linkage from a 73-87 chevy truck, and the stock steering wheel fits right on it. I was able to keep the ignition key in the dash and the install looks factory. Total cost of about $75.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Pricey? Yeah I'd say it is. Those things definately have gone up lately. I thought $200-$300 was expensive.
What justifies a grand for a steering column?
I know they are nice and all. but i'm shocked to say the least.
When I went to put a tilt steering colum setup in my 64 recently, I used the old school method. I used the 72-78 GM van column. The very column that Ididit and Flaming River patterned their columns off of in my opinion. Other than the polished or brushed finish, they look identical.
It takes a little work, but I got mine to fit and work with the mustang steering rack, kept the stock van shifter and shift indicator on the column and made it work with the TH350 trans by using the shift linkage from a 73-87 chevy truck, and the stock steering wheel fits right on it. I was able to keep the ignition key in the dash and the install looks factory. Total cost of about $75.
Got any pics?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm sure there are lots of nice things about that column, but holy crap thats expensive.

It looks like its a direct replacement column unlike alot of the other generic aftermarket columns that you have to make fit, and rig. I imagine thats where most of the cost comes in at. Sure is nice to look it...

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
I'll stick with my original one for now !

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I tried to fit the 20021NE-PL (30") and its not long enough! I need 2-2.5" more on the engine compartment side and 1/2" more on the dash side. The brake pedal lever hits the neutral safety/backup light switch that sits on top of the column. I'm hoping the 33" version (20022NE-PL) will move the backup switch further down the column so that the brake lever doesn't want to hit it, and the additional 3" should suffice to make it fit perfectly in my 62. The IDIDIT chrome clamp didn't work its too wide for the area on the first generation nova so I'll have to send that back to Summit Racing and use the stock black clamp to hold the column in place. This means I'll need to drill a hole in the new column once I get it to fit the notch the protrudes down from the stock clamp to prevent the column from twisting. I'm calling Flaming River in the morning. Everything else looks great. Not sure why Flaming River recommends a 30" but it clearly is not long enough for my application. Stock column is 31.5" as measured from end of shaft to top of shroud while the 30" FR is measuring 29.9". Calling FR in the morning to setup an RMA for exchange to their 33" version 20022NE-PL 3/4-36

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Man, I woulda' been hot. You shouldn't have problems like this after spending the ammount you did. I would have expected that column to fall right into place with practically no work involved. I wish you the best of luck on your steering setup. keep us posted.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if it was a few years ago when I easily stressed out then I would have been upset, but I workout 5-6 days a week and am not easily stressed these days. Yes FR should already have this figured out for first gen novas. They say the 30" works for floor shift applications, it 'might' if the bell housing slightly shorter, allowing it to protrude into the engine bay but I don't see it happening since this 30" column (gear shift) is 1.5" shorter than the stock from bottom of bell to end of shaft. Really needs to be a 32" for floor shift I think. I sent the column back with an RMA they gave me to exchange it for a 33" without neutral switch. The switch was too high up on the column and interferes with the brake lever. They are going to send me a Lokar aftermarket switch that I can bolt to the 200-4R transmission, I'll then have to route wiring from under to the dash to the switch on the tranny and back again for the backup light feed that I'm trying to achieve. So not all is lost, a solution is planned out, should get the column in a few more weeks, and be back on the road with a gorgeous column shift overdrive setup. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
When I went to put a tilt steering colum setup in my 64 recently, I used the old school method. I used the 72-78 GM van column.
That's a great solution. Here in California thosw columns are all but gone in the boneyards. The street rod guys have stripped them all. If we find one, we are VERY lucky.

Tim

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That's a great solution. Here in California thosw columns are all but gone in the boneyards. The street rod guys have stripped them all. If we find one, we are VERY lucky.

Tim
Yep, They can be hard to find. Usually, thats the first thing to go on a salvage yard van. They are also popular with the tri five chevy guys ( which is where I learned about them). The best way to find one is to look in areas where there isn't a lot of street rodding activity. I still find them from time to time here. Lately, I've been finding them at Pull A Part type yards. Some have an online site where you can check their inventory anywhere in the country on a daily basis.
It would be nice if Flaming river or Ididit offered a plain affordable economy tilt column made of plain steel that requires painting. Polished stainless steel and billet aluminum are nice, but add too much to the cost for most guys that only want to be able to tilt adjust the wheel for added driving comfort.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
YIt would be nice if Flaming river or Ididit offered a plain affordable economy tilt column made of plain steel that requires painting.
Does IDIDIT not offer a painted column any more? I installed one of their plain satin steel columns in my car, and it's still waiting for paint. :D It was much cheaper than the polished or billet ones.

The paintable options for their columns are listed in very tiny print on their website.

http://www.ididitinc.com/retrofit_columns/62_73_nova_tilt_column_fs63_65_oh.html

IDIDIT said:
Available Finishes: Paintable Steel, Chrome Plated Steel, Black Powder Coat, Brushed Aluminum, Polished Aluminum

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Huh..so they do offer one in plain steel. I stand corrected. I've just always seen the nice shiny polished expensive units advertised.
Couldn't find a price on one on the web link there. It seems you have to buy through a dealer.

·
Vendor
4,059 Posts
Ididit makes a paintable tilt for our Novas, this is what I have in mine and also in Dad's 63. I also sell these with our kits when someone chooses to replace the original. They look very much just like the stock column and you get 4 way flashers once it is all said and done. I know Walt at Classic Nova & Performance is a dealer for them.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Ididit makes a paintable tilt for our Novas, this is what I have in mine and also in Dad's 63. I also sell these with our kits when someone chooses to replace the original. They look very much just like the stock column and you get 4 way flashers once it is all said and done. I know Walt at Classic Nova & Performance is a dealer for them.
Here is the IDIDIT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts