Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to the site so hope this is ok to post. another member said i may be able to get help here with my Fitech 400 setup. i have had the motor running, but the first start up of the day or after sitting for a while just doesn't want to start. Turns over well, i hear the fitech inline pump turn on an give a shot of gas but will not start. if i turn key off and on a few times where it seems to get more gas to start up its fine. i have called fitech and helpful but still not luck. they told me to continue increasing age prime fuel, crank fuel 20/65/170. currently the prime fuel is at 279 and the others are 65, they said o increase the 200/65/170 up my 5 until it works.

im a little confused on hold high i can increase these setting. if anyone could help me or has experience and can tune this for me i would be open to that. i am located near port perry, ontario

thank tupi

·
Registered
549 Posts
My buddy put one on his Jeep with a small block chevy and I remember he had issues due to the placement of his O2 sensor. I can't remember if it was too close to the header runners or too far away, but I remember it was important to get it in the right spot and we had to read those dumb directions to figure it out. Do you have spark when it doesn't start, or do you know it's a fuel issue? I will say that I really like the system and it seems like a great product once you get the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It sounds like you have the same issue I have. The way I have my fuel lines plumbed, the gas drains back into the tank and my lines are empty after sitting over night. I am running an external regulator. When I cycle the key on and the fuel pump turns on, the pump primes the fuel line all the way up to the regulator... but not between the regulator and the throttle body. That section of line is still full of air and I have to crank the motor for several seconds to push the air out and once I get fuel in the line, it cranks right up.

Here is a test. The next morning, crack open a fuel line on your throttle body. Cycle the key on and off until fuel comes out. Then, try to start it. If it starts right up, you will know that air in the line is your problem. I am going to replumb my fuel system and use the regulator built into the throttle body to resolve the issue.

If this isn't your issue, you will have to give us some more info for us to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy put one on his Jeep with a small block chevy and I remember he had issues due to the placement of his O2 sensor. I can't remember if it was too close to the header runners or too far away, but I remember it was important to get it in the right spot and we had to read those dumb directions to figure it out. Do you have spark when it doesn't start, or do you know it's a fuel issue? I will say that I really like the system and it seems like a great product once you get the bugs worked out.
i am pretty sure it is fuel, i do see rpm on the hand held and if i turn key off to get extra shot of gas it will start. i do have another email into fitech to see what i increase the numbers to. just seems weird that o would have to do this much adjusting for a self learning system.

·
6,411 Posts
There is a good site on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/FiTechEFIUsers/?ref=bookmarks

I've got the 400 hp on mine and have not nailed down the cold start yet. Write down what setting you have before changing things. If you depress the gas pedal fully when you turn the key to the run position it will disable the prime shot. Release the gas pedal and continue to turn the key to the start. This is a simple test to see if there is too much fuel on start up. Another check is to give the throttle a little bit of opening. What you are doing is adding some air to the startup. If it reacts better then that's an indication of too much fuel and not enough air. In this case the fuel amount has to be reduced(either/or prime shot and cranking fuel. If you turn the key to the run position then turn off you have given it a prime shot of what ever value the handheld is set at. Now try to cut the start the engine. It will now have 2 shots of prime fuel. A lot of people disable there prime shot and rely on cranking fuel. I would adjust the prime shot in stages of 25. A change of 5 is not very much percentage wise. It's a bunch of changing of parameters but it's easy to do with the handheld versus carb adjustments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys i had no luck getting this going. If some has experince on setting this up and can travel close to port perry i sure could use your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts