Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throwing this question out there. I'm entertaining the thought of going with the FiTech LS self learning pcm, trans controller and engine harness. Instead of my GM reworked harness, pcm and trans controller. With my limited knowledge of tuning and having to make repeated trips to a reputable tuner that is if I can find one in this area. My thought is it would be less expensive on my pocket book and less stress full to get my project up and running. The only draw back that I don't like is that I would have to ditch my drive wire.
Any thought's or experiences on the FiTech setup would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Holley EFI always gets my vote.

Btw, self tuning is a marketing term more than a practical term. You still need to know how to set everything up and work with the data logs and feel. Self tuning just means it’ll automatically correct the fueling via closed loop using a wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust stream.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Contact www.psiconversion.com. They can supply a harness and program your ecm. keeping all the stuff you currently have.
Pat
X2 on PSI. I sent them my computer and they installed what they called a "startup tune". I ran that tune for two summers. It ran like it should...it idled at 600 RPM, ran great, never stalled, trans switched gears great, no problems at all. I recently installed a cam and torque converter and will have to get a local tuner to put a different tune in it.

They also have outstanding customer service. You can't go wrong with PSI as far as I am concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
They have an "order form" with a number of questions regarding tire size, gear ratio, trans, cam etc. to aide in the proper ecm tune.
Pat

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to bash the Fitech setup, but most of the reviews/opinions I have read were not very supportive but thought this would be a great place to ask.

I have the harness reworked already to fit the car so hopefully if I've done that right then that's not an issue. My only plan for performance upgrades was to eliminate the DOD and install a little chopper cam from Cam Motion purely for a choppy hotrod idle sound a stall converter to match the power curve and a corresponding gear ratio. With that I feel a Holley system isn't warranted. If PSI can get the tune pretty darn close right off the bat then Its a no brainer I'll stick with my GM stuff. Thanks for the reply's I appreciate it! I will definitely be looking PSI's way

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Give PSI a call. I believe his name is Gary. He has always answered when I called. They are located on the east coast and very helpful in making sure you get what's needed.
Pat

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
With my limited knowledge of tuning and having to make repeated trips to a reputable tuner that is if I can find one in this area.
I would expect that you'd only need to make a single trip to a tuner. He should be able to knock out a tune fairly quickly given the limited modifications you plan on making. A mail-order tune can get close, but obviously can't be optimized like an in-car one.

With close to 400k people in your area, I'd expect there to be a tuner capable of doing what needs to be done. Check the appropriate regional sections at sites like LS1Tech.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would expect that you'd only need to make a single trip to a tuner. He should be able to knock out a tune fairly quickly given the limited modifications you plan on making. A mail-order tune can get close, but obviously can't be optimized like an in-car one.

With close to 400k people in your area, I'd expect there to be a tuner capable of doing what needs to be done. Check the appropriate regional sections at sites like LS1Tech.
Also great info thanks!

·
Registered
456 Posts
LS1 w/4L60e
Started with a GM ECU that was tuned by a sorta local tuner. The car ran fine but I couldn't make any changes to the tune and the tuner was 2 hrs away. Made the switch to the FiTech set up with the trans controller. I have to say that it was a pretty straight forward swap and setting it up was not that difficult. I do wish the directions FiTech sent were more detailed on the programing side for sure, but making changes to the ECU are easy. I don't think this is a bad set up at all so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts