Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as the title states this will be my first V8 build. Now this isn't meaning that I am buying parts tomorrow, I would just like to know what I need to order when the time comes in the coming months. I found a 383 block from Summit that is already machined for the rod clearances. I plan to go forged internals just so if it were to ever see boost some day.

The cam I have chosen is a Summit Circle track cam. SUM-CT101K. 2,500-7,000 RPM .506"/.506" Lift. Eagle Crank and H-Beam rods. The Pistons are where I do need some help to get the CR I want (10.25:1) as long as 93 Pump gas will work.

A friend of mine helped me pick out the heads, he said to go aluminum rather than cast iron. They are the Edelbrock Victor Jr. 23 Heads. EDL-77579 64cc Chambers, 215cc/85cc Runners 2.08"/1.60" Valves.

I could also use some help choosing an intake and carburetor combo for it. At the time being, when this engine is done (hopefully next summer), it will go into my old work truck. Ultimately I would like to get a nice 67 Impala to put the engine into. Thanks in advance for any help or advice :)

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
You'll get some differences of opinion on this, but you need low speed torque to get a heavy vehicle moving, (the truck and the Impala).
It seems like the parts combo you have will make it's power higher in the RPM range. You need to figure out what you want to use the vehicle for.
Most street driven vehicles see very little time at WOT.
Now if you are mud bogging or sand dragging the truck, that is a different story.
You are on the right track with the 383.
Just my opinion, good luck with your build and project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am by no means a maniac driver...lol. I tend to just cruise mainly. Not to say I won't do an occasional burnout at the local car shows once and a while. The truck I just use mainly to run to Lowes in the summer and haul things for my family. Like I said this is my first V-8 build. Up until now it has been 4 cylinders all the way for me...haha. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well, I am by no means a maniac driver...lol. I tend to just cruise mainly. Not to say I won't do an occasional burnout at the local car shows once and a while. The truck I just use mainly to run to Lowes in the summer and haul things for my family. Like I said this is my first V-8 build. Up until now it has been 4 cylinders all the way for me...haha. Thanks again guys!
The 383 part was a good pick but the heads and cam are really bad for what you want to do. Very bad gas mileage and bad for hauling stuff back from Lowe's.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Wrong cam

You are asking a good question. One that can save you a ton of money.
Cams are mission designed. If you want to pull a heavy load, you need a cam designed for low end torque, if you are going to be running around in circles with the engine running high rpm's, you get a circle track cam, if you want an attention getting street cam that can hold its' own at the track, you get a street/strip cam.
You are doing what we call a "Levi"; a group of parts that sound like they could work together, but won't produce the results you want. A 383 is a fine motor with cast iron heads and will produce a lot of good power with a mild cam and a good carb....but, what about the rest of the drive train? You also need to consider what the motor is going to be working with. There are different torque converters to be considered for automatics along with tranny coolers for higher stall speed converters.
I'm not trying to throw cold water at your project, just help you understand the motor and its' components don't work alone.
Check around with your local machine shops, these are a real common build.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
You are asking a good question. One that can save you a ton of money.
Cams are mission designed. If you want to pull a heavy load, you need a cam designed for low end torque, if you are going to be running around in circles with the engine running high rpm's, you get a circle track cam, if you want an attention getting street cam that can hold its' own at the track, you get a street/strip cam.
You are doing what we call a "Levi"; a group of parts that sound like they could work together, but won't produce the results you want. A 383 is a fine motor with cast iron heads and will produce a lot of good power with a mild cam and a good carb....but, what about the rest of the drive train? You also need to consider what the motor is going to be working with. There are different torque converters to be considered for automatics along with tranny coolers for higher stall speed converters.
I'm not trying to throw cold water at your project, just help you understand the motor and its' components don't work alone.
Check around with your local machine shops, these are a real common build.
I agree, but would still go with an aluminum head just for the weight thing plus they can be repaired more easily as needed(usually not needed though as in welded on), a vacuum secondary carb for a heavy vehicle(could still use it on the car, cam good to the 5500 rpm or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good guys. I will have to get my Summit catalog out and re-research some parts. For the time while it is in the truck, it will be mated to a 700R4 with stock gears. Once I get the Impala I am going to go with a TH350 with a posi 3.73. I just wanted to get some advice on this build before I started to sock money into a bottomless pit of a project. One other question I have, what should I take into consideration when choosing a carb and intake? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts