Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow morning My oldest son and a couple of his friends are going to the track for the first time. The track is having a compact Import day so they decided to see what their cars will do. I'm going along as a bystander/helper just in case they run into problems. Any helpful hints from you guys that race often would be a great help.
Thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Tell them to relax and don't wait for the green light or you will be late. Don't have a/c running. Do all the tie trials they will let you.:yes:
JR - and have FUN:)

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JR, I think I'm as excited as they are:yes: Oh and by the way, I'm bringing the truck and trailer just in case:eek:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
tell your son and his friends to watch a few races near the starting line first. so they get familiar with the location of the track officials (the ones signaling which lane to run in and the one giving you the ok to start your burnout), the way you are supposed to drive around the water box (if not running slicks) and also where the grove in the track is.....

ALSO show them where the pre-stage and staging lines are in relation to the Christmas tree, I lost count of the # of 1st timers driving thru the starting lines and pulling right up next to the tree and trying to stage!!!!!!!

but tell him to have fun...

·
Registered
745 Posts
ALSO show them where the pre-stage and staging lines are in relation to the Christmas tree, I lost count of the # of 1st timers driving thru the starting lines and pulling right up next to the tree and trying to stage!!!!!!!

but tell him to have fun...[/QUOTE]

Yes tell them to wacth closely thier nothing funnyer then people who go waypast the staginglights

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, I'm going to have him read these replies tonight:yes:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
If they're running a street tire, let them know not to over drive it (spin them) get it rolling first then get on it hard if the tires break loose, some street tires like more PSI, unlike slicks.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If your kid has a FWD Honda, I'm terribly sorry. If he has a RWD like a 240SX/Silvia, RX7 or a Supra...Then he's cool.

With that said, hope you guys have a ogod day...Just don't roll past the beams, that's the worst.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your kid has a FWD Honda, I'm terribly sorry. If he has a RWD like a 240SX/Silvia, RX7 or a Supra...Then he's cool.

With that said, hope you guys have a ogod day...Just don't roll past the beams, that's the worst.
it is a FWD Honda. So what should he do for best results, Not that it matters, it's all for fun:yes:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

They all look the same, in the rear view mirror of a Nova!:devil:

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just took Nate and his friends out for a drive in the nova:devil: Actually Nate drove because I had a couple beers, but his buddies were pretty impressed with the Nova:D I'm slowly convincing them that American muscle is the way to go:D

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Just took Nate and his friends out for a drive in the nova:devil: Actually Nate drove because I had a couple beers, but his buddies were pretty impressed with the Nova:D I'm slowly convincing them that American muscle is the way to go:D
You da man TIM!:notworthy::notworthy::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You da man TIM!:notworthy::notworthy::thumbsup:
For being smart and letting Nate drive or convincing them about the American muscle?:D I'd say both:yes:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
For being smart and letting Nate drive or convincing them about the American muscle?:D I'd say both:yes:
For both, plus one, I'm impressed at your ability to multi task, A) teach them to race at the track, B) Don't drink and drive, and the most important, C) There's no replacement for cubic displacement!!:no::D

Even with some wobbly pops you still firing on all eight, something imports just can't do!:rolleyes:

Let the boys know I just playing and unfortunately our muscle cars are not practical DD any more, glad to see they're enjoying the hobby too.:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
unfortunately our muscle cars are not practical DD any more,:
:no::no:I respectfully disagree....come November I will be dding my nova all the time

even going on 500 mile journeys in it occasionaly

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have a decently quick car...But I'll be the first to admit that this import would do some very very very bad things to my car :beat: :beat::D

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Yea, while I prefer American Muscle, I learned respect the first time I got beat by one of those twin turbo'd Mitsubisi v6 cars. Last fall there was even a 4 cyl Mitsuibishi Eclipse running low tens, and it was street driven. You don't have to like them, but less embarassing if you don't sell them short.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well we made it back,and there was no need for the trailer:no: Nate did really good for his first time racing:yes: He made a few mistakes during time trials, but when it came to the racing all I can say is that I'm very proud of him:D His first race he lost by about six inches:eek: He had a faster time but still got beat. So then he went to the consolation round and made it to the semi-final round. He beat that guy but was disqualified for going under his dialed in time:( but he came home with a trophy:D All and All it was a great day, we had a blast.So here is a picture of his trophy and a video of his semi-final race. He's in the red honda civic

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/tsimpson1974/?action=view&current=racepictures014.flv

1 - 20 of 38 Posts