Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been a member here for some time and used to have a different name (Watt), but somehow my login stopped working and so I've been lurking from this new moniker for awhile...

I've got a 69' Nova and am pulling the engine (400 SBC) and trans (TH350) this weekend and have everything for the engine stripped, bagged, tagged, wires labeled etc. Now I'm onto the transmission and I've been looking around through google and SNS but can't find a step by step on what needs to be done to get the transmission ready to be pulled with the engine.

If anybody has some information would they mind helping me out?

Thank you in advance!

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that for most backyard builds, pulling the motor and transmission together is going to be easier. If you try to pull them separately, you usually have to get the car up on stands high enough to get the transmission out from under the car.

The aim here is to disconnect everything and yank them.

1. 4 bolts on ujoints to remove driveshaft. Wrap the ujoint caps with tape.
2. Trans mount / crossmember removal.
3. All electrical disconnected and labeled. Usually this is like starter, ignition system.
4. remove speedometer cable
5. remove trans cooling lines
6. remove upper and lower radiator lines
7. remove all mechanical and electrical gauges lines (i.e. temperature, tach, etc) label as needed
8. remove shift linkage
9. once it appears that the motor and transmission are free of all obstructions, yank it after pulling the motor mount bolts.
Excellent. Thank you! I'm going to get this prepped today and wait till I can get a couple friends over this week to help me get them both out safely.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just went through this 6 months ago alone. My 2 cents... An engine leveler is a must with lift chains bolted to the front and back of the heads, $50 from HF I think. Get a $10 plastic trans plug to prevent leaks. Pulling trans and motor is a breeze with those. Definitely pull the radiator, the fins bend to easily if you bump it so spend the 10 minutes removing it. Once the engine is high enough and trans is level to clear the core support then roll the car out of the way. Wait till the above is complete, then drink beer...
Thanks for the info Dan. I borrowed a friends hoist with his chain leveler so glad I'm headed in the right direction there. Ordered the trans plug earlier this morning like snolan mentioned as well. Will definitely remove the rad for the extra inches.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was trying to undo the cooler lines going into the trans but the extension pipe that comes right after the header was in the way. So I thought I’ll just undo the headers now and hope that gives me enough room. Got all the bolts out until the last one that’s close to the firewall. I can’t get a socket on it because the header is in the way (header is dented in for the bolt), and I can’t get a wrench on it from top or bottom either because it’s a tight space. Any suggestions on a tool or a trick that might help me?
Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Metal Electric blue

Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Metal

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Crows foot could work for sure. May try and add some heat to the header first and dimple it in a bit more. I’ve got a torch I can borrow and that’ll save me a trip to princess auto or Canadian tire.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I made this for my car specifically, but it is complete and I could have it out in an hour or two without breaking a sweat.

ENGINE REMOVAL PROCEDURETOOLS
1Remove Hood
2Disconnect Battery1/2" Open End
3Drain CoolantBucket/Hose
4Remove Air Cleaner
5Disconnect Throttle Linkage
6Disconnect Fuel LineAN-6 fitting 3/4 & 11/16
7Remove Carburetor1/2" Open End
8Rotate engine to TDC
9Mark Distributor Timing
10Remove DistributorDistributor Wrench
11Remove Plug Wires
12Remove A/C Compressor
13Remove Valve Covers
14Disconnnect Fan Wiring
15Remove Radiator5/16" Driver & 1/2" Socket/Wrench
16Disconnect Header Collector, Pass9/16" Offset Wrench and Socket
17Unbolt Header, Pass3/8"
18Remove Spark Plugs, Pass5/8"
19Pull Header Up, Pass
20Remove Spark Plugs, Driver5/8"
21Disconnect Header Collector, Driver9/16"
22Unbolt Header, Driver3/8"
23Drop Header Down, Driver
24Disconnect Engine Harness
25Remove Driver Seat
26Remove Center ConsolePhillips Screwdriver
27Remove Shifter9/16"
28Raise Rear of Vehicle
29Remove Driveline1/2"
30Disconnect Speedometer Cable
31Disconnect Backup Light WiringPhillips Screwdriver
33Disconnect Clutch Hyd Line9/16"
34Drop Steering Linkage3/4"
35Remove Crossmember Nuts
36Plug Transmission Output Shaft
37Remove Motor Mount Bolts
38Lower Vehicle
39Pull Engine/Transmission Assy.
Jeez Louise! That’s great! I’m almost done prepping but will definitely use this to reassemble or next time I need to pull an engine. Thanks a million.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts