Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my car at the track today for the first time. My first time on the track in 8 years. Made 2 passes. 1/8 th mile track

First past came out at about 3300 on the clutch and the car went on her face and killed the motor. So much for that run.

took it to the pits reset the timing and went out for round 2.. go broke or go home. Got it on the tree really don't know where it launch she was probably in the 4 grand area. She launched hard but as hard as she launched she came back down stumblin on her face feathered the gas got her rollin again and umm well emotions cause a 3rd gear miss (caugh) <twice> ... lol. Any way this is how the time slip went......

.26 reaction
2.38 60ft

e.t. 9.17
mph 88.789

Well back to the drawing board. Gotta get her out of the hole.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
stickshift racing is fun. you need not be afraid. And by not afraid I mean you should accept that asomething will break and enjoy your day till it does. You shouldn't have to feather the clutch with a 4000rpm launch. Just bury your right foot after you dump the clutch and you'll be fine... with that mph you should easily be in the 7's. what is your combo?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I matted it out the hole on the first run and that is when the motor stumbled and died. It got matted on second run and she still choked had to feather it to get it running again.

I think it is a fuel problem.... not getting enough.

383 stroker 9.7 to 1 comp. It has the edelbrock rpm package installed on it. Which includes rpm heads and rpm air gap intake. It does have their cam installed also....

Duration @ .050'' 234° Intake/244° Exhaust
Lift @ Valve .488'' Intake/.510'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle 112°
Intake Centerline 107°

Carb is a holley 750 double pumper.
Trans is M22
12 bolt with 373
multileaf w/slide-a-links

tires 255/60/15 MT drag radials.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Do you have an electric fuel pump? What size lines? If it's electric make sure that it's mounted below the pickup point in the tank.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
I have a question. Do you have jet extension's on your jet's?

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
If you ask me, it sounds like you're lugging the engine down. What type flywheel are you running? And what does it weigh? You need the R's up with a stick car. If you have an MSD with a 2-step, keep upping the chip till it doesn't bog. Or pump the tires up a bit to get them to spin. I ran stick back in the 70's with a T-10 in a 57 Chevy. When it hooked and lugged the engine, it always found the weak link. That car weighed 3700 lbs, had a Ron Hutter 302 with tunnel ram and a roller cam. I left the line on the mat, around 9000+, shifted at 8000 and went through the traps at 9600. It had a T-10 with a 2.64 1st gear, and a 6.14 gear in a Pontiac housing. That was using a 60lb flywheel and 11.5 tires. AAAAAHHHHHHH, those were the days. Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts