Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive the following metaphor, but...... I popped my re-virginized Nova's drag racing cherry at the strip tonight and had fun in the process. Nothing blew, spewed, or shot out the side of the block and it got me back home. :D I did have to wire the windshield wipers down after my first run though. I didn't think about the fact that there's not a wiper motor installed to keep the wind from grabbing the blades and turning the wiper transmission. They moved up the windshield at about 80mph. :eek:

I stayed two hours and I got two runs in. While the runs weren't quite up to my expectations, it does show that I have some more tuning work to do to get some better results from this setup. I think I can pick up at least another second with some tweaks, tuning, and a traction device (slicks, caltracs or possibly both).

First Run: 14.455 @ 100.26mph
Second Run: 14.312 @ 100.85mph

Traction hurt me the most, with 60ft times of 2.428 and 2.377, and the floats set way too low may have hurt also. The car almost died after my dry-hop, which makes me think there ain't enough fuel in the bowls. I'll have to check plugs to see if I roasted any going lean at the top end. The car toasted the tires into second gear and then took off. It stayed ARROW STRAIGHT from start to finish even with limited traction. :D :D

Here are the full slips:

Run 1:
R/T .612 (need to relearn how to hit a light)
60' 2.428
330 6.342
1/8 9.502 MPH 77.98
1000 12.199
1/4 14.455 MPH 100.26

Run 2:
R/T .332 (better :rolleyes: )
60' 2.377
330 6.246
1/8 9.390 MPH 78.31
1000 12.071
1/4 14.312 MPH 100.85

Anyone want to run this through their timeslip analysis and offer input on tuning??

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Right on!! Sounds like you had fun. I'm sure it was satisfying to blast down the strip in something that you rebuilt yourself. :)

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I agree with Flyer. On thaat note Im scurrying off to bed. To dream of liquid Nova tires. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to see if any of my NW Nova cohorts were going to show, but alas, I had to explore brave new worlds (PIR) on my own. :rolleyes: If they'd have showed up, I'd have had one of them take some pics/film of the momentus event.

Sadly, the imagess will have to reside in my head for now. There's a possibility of a repeat performance tomorrow night though. :)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i look forward ta my day Rex, it's good ta hear 'bout yers :D

see if ya can get us some shots, willya ;)

we just gotta smell SMOKE !!! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hey Brent, glad to hear you made it out there! I had the same problem with my wipers last year.:eek: The MPH looks good, the last one at almost 101. Some tuning and fixing that running rich problem should get you another MPH or two. I hit the 12's at 102, but that is lanching at 4100 RPM's and running 3.73's. I believe you are running 3.55's? and I don't know about your converter. Some drag radials should drop your ET a bunch.

I would have loved to have gone, it was beautiful out again. 6 hours working on my car yesterday, another couple this morning. I think I'm going out tonight, but the clouds seemed to have rolled in for now.:(

·
Registered
347 Posts
That had to feel really good after all that work over the last several years!

I ran that same mph in the late eighties with my 327, TH 350, 308 posi, 235/60/14 street radials. My ET's were in the 13.90 range with 60-foot times in the 2.1 second range. It is really tough not to boil the tires. Try launching at around 1,500 rpm and roll into the throttle instead of mashing down on it.

If you do make it out again tonight, if you don't install the 70 primary jets, at least swap in the yellow secondary spring. It should be worth a few tenths assuming the plain spring is in there now.

Again, good job!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'd guess there's about a second left just getting it to leave better; my Suburban has better 60 fts, but then it wouldn't spin the tire in a car wash with soap!! My estimate would be 13.40's-13.50's

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ron Slabaugh said:
That had to feel really good after all that work over the last several years!

I ran that same mph in the late eighties with my 327, TH 350, 308 posi, 235/60/14 street radials. My ET's were in the 13.90 range with 60-foot times in the 2.1 second range. It is really tough not to boil the tires. Try launching at around 1,500 rpm and roll into the throttle instead of mashing down on it.

If you do make it out again tonight, if you don't install the 70 primary jets, at least swap in the yellow secondary spring. It should be worth a few tenths assuming the plain spring is in there now.

Again, good job!
It felt great. :D I'll try playing with my launch RPM a bit more. With only two runs last night and lots of cars in the lanes, I didn't feel like playing too much. A no frills baseline run or two was in order.

Here's a new shot of my #1 plug (I know, I need to re-check all of them), which was the problem child before. It looks pretty good now considering the lack of DETAILED tuning, even a bit on the lean side. It does show that some upfront research paid off though. :cool: Oh, I re-checked my secondary spring selection and I'm already using the YELLOW spring. :)

I checked the 4secondsflat sight that WFO uses, and based on this, I think he recommends I step colder on plugs. I'll have to play with a couple of other things before changing those out though.

I think resetting my floats is on the schedule tonight. DEL is going to loan me his 26x8" slicks tonight too. I'm a lucky man to have such good friends to draw on.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
aint it great when nothing goes boom!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Those slicks will do the trick.:cool: I just got the car back on the ground and am about an hour away from having it ready. Russ with the yellow nova is going tonight also. I hope the weather holds.:)

Last Sat. it was backed up all the way to the freeway off-ramp.Took me almost an hour just to get in the gates. Hope it won't be as bad tonight.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow, that plug does look a lot better than before. No signs of oil contamination either. For truly accurate readings, its best to look at new plugs. However, looks like your tune is in the ballpark for sure.

It's tough to critique an internet photo. It appears the very top and edges of the center electrode may have been melting a bit. I think this would indicate too much timing. Could be an optical illusion with the photo though.

I can't wait to read tonights results.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Rexand Repointer, I'll be there after band practice. About 8:00 or so. No Nova though. I'm just about finished.
Brandon

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
novas4life said:
Rexand Repointer, I'll be there after band practice. About 8:00 or so. No Nova though. I'm just about finished.
Brandon
I think PIR tonight is going to get called on account of rain. It's nasty out right now. :( Maybe tomorrow in Woodburn or next weekend.

I'll have to check the plugs a bit more...... Too much timing is a definite possibility, especially if I don't have my adjustable vacuum advance can dialed in correctly. I think it may need to be tightened up a bit.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NovatoriusRex said:
I think PIR tonight is going to get called on account of rain. It's nasty out right now. :( Maybe tomorrow in Woodburn or next weekend.
Well, the weather cleared up and it was a BEAUTIFUL night for racing. It was cold, but that's good. :D :D

DEL loaned me a set of 8" clicks, which improved my 60ft by .419 seconds. Other than the slicks, I just changed by shifting RPM and gained 1.343 seconds in ET. :D :D :D :D :D

Here's the final slip of the night:

R/T .432 (best of the night was .188 :rolleyes: )
60' 1.958
330 5.474
1/8 8.389 MPH 83.96
1000 10.397
1/4 13.112 MPH 103.14

I think the car has high 12's in her; I just have to stick the tires harder (the 8" slicks still spun a bit) and do some more detailed tuning.

Overall, I'm a happy camper after tonight. The car is living up to my expectations and making my efforts worthwhile in results payback. :cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'll start with WOW!!!!!!!!!1

You picked up 5 mph in the 1/8th not to mention over 2 mph in the 1/4

Just getting the car to 60 will put you solidly in the 12's. Add some tuning and 12.60's may be in your future.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Geez, those roller cam crate motors run pretty friggin good!!! Congrats Rex!

Kev (Now if I could just get my car to do that...)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts