Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all goes well I should be starting up my new 383 tomorrow. I know with the flat tappet cams that break-in procedure is critical. However, I bought my cam and lifters from a member on this site and they have already been broken in. Are there still certain procedures for breaking in the other parts (like seating the rings)?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the general rule of thumb that i've always been told is once a cam/lifters have been broken in the lifters should always stay on the lobes they were initially installed on... using a used cam & lifters you're taking more of a chance on lobe failure...

run the engine at 2000rpm for 15-20 minutes, drain oil, change filter...

make sure the timing isn't retarded which will increase engine temps...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, cool. The lifters were all numbered and in order so they are on the same lobes. :yes:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got it started. Unfortunately it's pissing oil out of the rear of the motor and the oil pressure is at about 90psi :eek:. Even when I primed the oil pump with a drill it was still at 85psi. The leak is comming from above the rear main seal it looks like. Maybe one of the 3 plugs that are above the main seal :confused:. The only thing I can think of that would make the oil pressure that high would be a stuck relief valve on the oil pump. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Well, I got it started. Unfortunately it's pissing oil out of the rear of the motor and the oil pressure is at about 90psi :eek:. Even when I primed the oil pump with a drill it was still at 85psi. The leak is comming from above the rear main seal it looks like. Maybe one of the 3 plugs that are above the main seal :confused:. The only thing I can think of that would make the oil pressure that high would be a stuck relief valve on the oil pump. Any ideas?
20/50w to thick. Try 10/30 if clearances allow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts