Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** UPDATE on PAGE 3***

I'm fairly new to the site so I thoughty I would show you guys some of my progress on my 78 "budget build" Nova. I purchased the car about 6 months ago in barely running condition with a tired worn-out 305. I have since removed the engine and tranny, fixed the rusted floor pans and have started on the subframe. Unfortunatley I am usualy so busy working that i forget to take pics but I have a few.

Here are some pics from when I got the car:

These are some pics from tonight:

The engine/frame in the background is out of my old camaro and all the parts will be swaped to the Nova frame. Here is a short clip of the 406 small block running:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=50811786

Tell me what you think :)

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Welcome to the site. It looks like you're going to have one hell of a car once done. Nice work on the sub frame and firewall. Would be nice of that subframe just fit in the Nova. Keep the pics coming, its motivation :yes:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, a buddy and I got it removed stripped and primed in 3 nights after work. It took alot longer to do the camaro, but I have experience now, lol.

Would be nice of that subframe just fit in the Nova.

Tell me about it! The frames are just different enough not to work :mad: Oh well, atleast I'll be experienced at removing/installing suspention parts too :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to another 4 gen owner, We will take over as the nova to own lol....nice job so far :yes:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Always wondered how the Camaro suspension would feel when installed on a 4th gen. Hopefully you'll give us all a complete write-up, just like Road & Track magazine. :D

Are you also using the steering box and sway bar?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Always wondered how the Camaro suspension would feel when installed on a 4th gen. Hopefully you'll give us all a complete write-up, just like Road & Track magazine. :D

Are you also using the steering box and sway bar?
I think everything is exactly the same, atleast it looks that way, so it will probably handle the same. I didn't check part numbers but everything bolted up perfectly.

Here are some updated pics. I got the suspension & drivetrain all swapped over so it's ready to go in.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I think everything is exactly the same, at least it looks that way, so it will probably handle the same. I didn't check part numbers but everything bolted up perfectly.
The parts are the same. Some of the early F body control arm had smaller bushings but the arms will interchange.

How hard is it to install the subframe all assembled like that? I thought about doing that as it seems easier to install the engine/trans with the frame out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How hard is it to install the subframe all assembled like that? I thought about doing that as it seems easier to install the engine/trans with the frame out.
Well, I did it like this on the camaro but I also had a lift at the time. So I'll let you know if it's possible without a lift by next week :D

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
The parts are the same. Some of the early F body control arm had smaller bushings but the arms will interchange.

I installed the engine, tranny, and subframe on my 77 in the exact same way. It is VERY, VERY EASY. With just me and my old man, I think we had the whole thing under the car and bolted in inside of half an hour.

J

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed the engine, tranny, and subframe on my 77 in the exact same way. It is VERY, VERY EASY. With just me and my old man, I think we had the whole thing under the car and bolted in inside of half an hour.

J
Any secrets I should be aware of?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
It looks like youll need to jack up the rear of the car to level it. And remember the weight of the engine can shift to the rear of the subframe if the front is raised high enough without support on the rear. I learned the hard way. OOOOWWWCCCHH! :mad:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think everything is exactly the same, atleast it looks that way, so it will probably handle the same. I didn't check part numbers but everything bolted up perfectly.

Here are some updated pics. I got the suspension & drivetrain all swapped over so it's ready to go in.

Looks great. Hey, there's wiring... Did you test fire the engine and wake up the neighbors?:devil:

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Engine sounded good. The radiator looks a little tall or was it just to fire the engine?

My neighbors were treated to hearing my 406 several times. The last time with mufflers :D The next time will be when the car is under its own power, hopefully in the next 6 weeks. It was fired for the first time at the engine builders house, so his neighbors also were treated to 20 minutes of open headers while we did the cam break in :yes:

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/77%20Nova%20project/videos/?action=view&current=editfile010.flv

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats a nice motor you have Phillip. I like the engine test stand, it's a little nicer than an old subframe and a clipboard :yes:.

The radiator looks tall because the core support isn't tightened down yet so it is leaning outward away from the radiator. It's actually the radiator I bought for the camaro but it fits good, I just need the hoses for the Nova to put it in the right location in the core support.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The first start was on a regular engine stand, that was scary, then I set it in a spare sub frame, the video was taken using a friends home made stand. It is nice but takes up a lot of room in my small shop. The engineand transmission are now in the car.

What is inside your engine? Mine has a nodular iron crank with stock stroke, re-sized stock rods, Sealed Power hypereutectic dished pistons, 60103 Lunati VooDoo cam, AFR 195 heads, Performer intake, custom Quadrajet carb, Hooker headers and a Dave Ray small body HEI. All ARP fasteners and GMPP serpentine accessory system. About 10.25 compression making 430 horse and 500 ft lbs of torque all under 5k rpm's. Just a little street motor :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts