Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at 66NOGO2's Restoration and saw he had his wing window frames out. I didn't want to Hijack his thread, so I started a new one...

I searched the "Best Of Body and Interior" section and didn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm nearly finished (not that you're EVER finished, mind you!) with my '63 SS. The last thing I need to do is replace the gaskets around my wing windows. I have the NNN article on replacing the rubber, but nowhere in the article does it tell you how to remove the wing window frames from the doors. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I'd like to get this done and move on to my next project, ugh...;)

Thanks!

Chuck

·
Registered
681 Posts
Search the forum, and try vent windows.

Just for general info... I've done my Driver's door, as I have not yet gotten to the Passenger door. It's really easy to do, BUT.. getting it out is not. I have a Wagon, which is like the 4-door, and Post versions of the Nova. So the door has a 'frame' around the vent window. Not sure what type of car you have.

But to keep it short, I had to take the whole door apart to get the vent window out, as it's part of the window's track. I then drilled out the rivets holding in the window frame to the bracket, took apart the window assbly, cleaned and painted everything, then added the new gasket and window. The gasket pushed in easy with a small rounded out screwdriver and some 409, or soap and water.

From there, it all went back together easy. I still have the door in pieces, so I did not put it back in yet. But the vent window assembly is done and ready to install. It took me about 2 hours for the vent window build-up.

DW.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine's an SS, so it's a coupe. I tried searching in different ways, but didn't find anything about removal.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
remove door panel

roll window down

remove nut at bottom of wing window track, and remove screw that is on the painted part of the door just below wing window.

remove the 4 or so phillips screws, and the 2, 1/4 inch bolts on the chrome leading edge of the wing window frame.

pull the leading edge chrome piece out seperate from the wing window.

wing window should now pull straight up and the side window should stay in-place

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds simple enough, Ryan. I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Chuck, the only thing you need to pay attention to is the rivet locations for the new window track. There are 3 rivets that hold the track in, drill them out, replace the track and pop rivet them back in.

The rest is pretty simple and striaght forwards.

Ask questions if you need help, I've done mine. It simple.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys,

The biggest concern I have is getting the vent frame out of the door. It's tapered and tucks into the door approx two inches on the leading edge. I just need to find the sequence that allows me to get that to clear and I should be golden.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Be careful when you are pulling it out and replacing it. I scratched my paint on the door :mad:. I don't want to ever have to pull windows out again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts