Chevy Nova Forum banner

161 - 180 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
The slot alignment system should be fine as long as the hardware gets torqued adequately. My 2001 Dodge Ram has a similar alignment slot system and it only came loose one time a few days after I had the truck aligned professionally.. This is a 2WD daily driver with a FabTech suspension lift that I installed in 2004.. The technician that aligned the front end clearly didn’t torque the cross shaft bolts to spec. I don’t take my vehicles to get aligned at shops anymore.. I do it myself..

·
Registered
258 Posts
hi Guys
Heres two videos showing how to shorten a 8.8 ford explorer axle. It really is easy and ls customs has it about right.
I just shortened one for my wagon the only thing i would add is to insert the short shaft into rhe narrowed side of the axle just to make sure all is straight ,I also redrilled my axles to suit chevy bolt pattern, after shortening I worked it 8.8 axle should be 5/8" shorter both sides. I also had some metal laser cut for the spring perches, I have ridetech air bar on the rear (four bar with air ride)
🇬🇧

IMG_0178.jpg

Cheers Ian 🇬🇧

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Amazing article... I've looked twice but need to leave for work.

What is the distance from outer hub flange to outer hub flange?

In other words, total length hub to hub with just shortening one side and using two short axles?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Nice work and progress!
thank you

Amazing article... I've looked twice but need to leave for work.

What is the distance from outer hub flange to outer hub flange?

In other words, total length hub to hub with just shortening one side and using two short axles?
I measured from outside rotor to rotor (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface) approx. 56.5".... approx. 56" axle flange to axle flange (no rotors)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ian, what backspace do you reckon would be optimal (non wagon, I am) with a 8.8 shortened. I just did mine and have stock rear leafs. I'm thinking 4.625 is about right for a 8 inch wheel.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
what backspace do you reckon would be optimal (non wagon, I am) with a 8.8
being that you are starting off with a rear end and set rearend width, you should prob set your rear end up and take your own measurements, prior to settling on a wheel. Though I did make a tool to measure mine (shown earlier in this thread), it is relatively easy to "estimate" the backspace, with a straight edge and ruler, etc. as long you take and confirm the measurements in multiple points along the arc.

if you have a budget for some custom wheels, then you can get pretty precise... if not you can still narrow down the best fitment/backspace and get an idea of how the wheel and tire will sit (and find a wheel with a close enough backspacing).... when taking your measurement, be mindful of the tire size you are going with, how tall and wide... make sure to take measurements up to as tall as the tire will be... and verify your measurements on both sides of the car...

161 - 180 of 196 Posts