Chevy Nova Forum banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
just want thank you for taking time to post photo's of 8.8 rear end, I am attempting to do the same thing, thanks to you, so a big thank you, I follow all your post,

·
Registered
391 Posts
Great write up and build, its awesome that you've built your own 4 link for your car. FYI the 8.8 center sections are cast steel and can be welded with normal mild steel rod/wire - its the cast iron housings that need the extra attention with preheat, nickel rod, post heat/slow cool to prevent cracking, but still good practice what you did and it looks good!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Great write up and build, its awesome that you've built your own 4 link for your car. FYI the 8.8 center sections are cast steel and can be welded with normal mild steel rod/wire - its the cast iron housings that need the extra attention with preheat, nickel rod, post heat/slow cool to prevent cracking, but still good practice what you did and it looks good!
thank you... i did think that and had practiced welding on the little ears i cut off earlier in the thread... but wanted to be sure, as some had claimed issues with cracking them / or the weld cracking etc. i had already ordered the rod a while back and went ahead and used it... it did weld relatively easy/smoothly

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Such a nice build and I tip my hat to you for being so thorough on everything as well as designing/building it yourself. I’m envious of your welding skills! Would love to see more on this build in general.
thank you... i will make a separate thread at some point and catch it up to where it is now.... trying to figure out some wheels/proper fitment now... and options...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
the current times/events are slowing shipping etc down a little... after measuring/determining backspace for various different wheel sizes/widths, I decided to order some wheels to triple check my measurements... i could do a little trimming on the front section of the tub and im sure i could easily fit a 295.... the front of the tub sort of narrows a bit (so this had to be taken into consideration)... i am going with a 285 for now... as far as inside the tub, there is plenty of room (all the way around).

to get a wheel setup fairly quickly, i went with a 17" x 9.5" (is actually 10.5" wide), with a 6" backspace... the tires havent shown up yet... these will work if i want to take it to the drag strip.... or i will sell them some time down the line when choosing another wheel setup... this allowed me to test fit some wheels and tires in an affordable way... the fronts will more than likely be a matching 17" x 7" (or 17 x 8)... i was going to go with a 15 x 10/rear, but would have had to wait till the beg of next month to get it...

working on putting the front suspension together also and will be able to set the car back on the ground... will prob be another 1" lower in the rear, but will set the height, once the tires show up and i have the front suspension on

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Nitto 285/40r17 for now, with the tires mounted, i am able to verify i could have went wider and to do so, would just trim the front edge of the tub a little... the tub starts to narrow a little in the front...

in my case, these fit perfect and do not rub anywhere... room to grow also... just waiting on the rear brakes to show up and will throw them on (along with the front coilover setup) and adjust ride height for now...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)

moving to the front suspension for now and misc....so i can set it on the ground as a roller... will be a bit lower when on the ground... I will eventually shorten the rear end and change it out to ford 9" ends (will use the same brake setup) and 35 spline... then will change the wheels and backspacing... but for now, this will do...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Looks really good so far..!

Now hurry up and get that front end together so’s we can see it sittin on the ground..!
thank you... coilovers for the front showed up today too... will be getting it put together asap... so i can start on more fabrication... also, need the front wheels to show up.... wanted to wait until i fit the rears, to order the matching fronts, in case i needed to go with a different wheel setup...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Ya, I totally understand.. I know too well that they don’t build themselves and delays happen for a variety of reasons.. Waiting for parts, looking for the right parts, making up your mind on which path to choose to resolve a build problem.. It all eats up time.. You just have to keep after it moving forward is progress..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Ya, I totally understand.. I know too well that they don’t build themselves and delays happen for a variety of reasons.. Waiting for parts, looking for the right parts, making up your mind on which path to choose to resolve a build problem.. It all eats up time.. You just have to keep after it moving forward is progress..
Agreed.. .one day and one step at a time... pushing forward...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I ended up using the cpp lowers, designed for their coilover upgrade... but did not buy the coilover setup they use... i was told they use a viking body (not sure about the spring) and the lower mount is a poly mount...

After talking with my brother (80zPerformance and placing a few orders), I ordered up the appropriate viking coilover setup... with the bearing mount... and machined some new grooves, in ridetech tbars (I had sitting from an unrelated project)... so that they would lock the viking bearings onto the tbar... the spacing of the grooves was too narrow... spirolocs lock it in place

141 - 160 of 195 Posts