Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here installed an engine oil cooler in a first gen? If so, what size cooler did you use and where did you mount it?

Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I have a 2nd gen. Usually they are put in front of the radiator. However I put mine horizontal between the front frame and cross member. See the link for Installation pictures. Cooler pics are at the bottom of the page.

At the time I had a clutch fan with a shroud. I put 2 2" holes in the bottom of the shroud and it pulled air thru the trans cooler fine. I recently put in electric fans and I need to get a small fan for the trans cooler or at least some ducting for air flow.

I have a 2400 stall torque converter. The higher than stock stall torque convertors should have a trans cooler in the warmer areas of the country especially.

How are you going to hook it up? Does your radiator have a trans cooler? I put the trans cooler on the pressure line coming out of the radiator and before it goes into the trans cooler in the radiator. Why? Mine is a street car most of the time and I drive it when it is cooler. Running a cold radiator is as bad as running a cold engine. The cooler helps with the excess heat before it gets to the radiator, so it won't add extra heat to the radiator, but the radiator also keeps it running temp at cold times. I discussed this with my "Mr Goodwrench" buddy. He teaches the Goodwrench classes and we both thought putting it after the radiator connection was not as effective for overall temp control.

If you want to keep the trans cool or don't have the radiator for an automatic, just use the cooler without connecting to the radiator and make sure it gets enough air flow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts