Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through a 63 ragtop for a by-the-numbers resto, lots of original factory silver paint still there, and noticed distinct flat red oxide color under original thin silver paint in the trans tunnel area and adjacent underbody panels --- anyone have definitive info as to what original finish/color was applied to the underbody prior to undercoating? Thanx.

·
13,984 Posts
What you're seeing underneath yours is pretty well the way they were when built. Most have the thin layer of body color over primer. The only factory undercoating was an asbestos :eek: fibre coating applied to the wheel wells and a few other specific areas. If a car of this era was completely undercoated, it was likely done post delivery and, hopefully, not asbestos based.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,012 Posts
That's an interesting transition point. For '62 and some early '63, body color is on the firewall and there's a transition under the tunnel to chassis black under the car, with undercoating applied like Bob described. But I think the transition line was pretty haphazard. Red oxide all over and underneath my '62 convertible too when i took it down.

·
13,984 Posts
When I got my Palomar Red 63 SS convertible in 1991 the body hadn't been touched. All kinds of red oxide showing on the underside with varying amounts of thin Palomar Red over it. Early on I pulled the rocker mouldings to straighten and polish them. The Palomar Red was very thin on the underside of the rockers, too.

Bob

·
Registered
553 Posts
These cars were dipped in primer then sprayed as they rolled down the line. On 62's anyway there was body color overspray on the under side only. The body parts that the painter had to bend over to get to had very thin body color applied. Remember these cars were slapped together and not much care was taken during assembly. My car for instance, part of the interior was left white because they forgot to paint it red.

·
13,984 Posts
The body and paint work on these cars was pretty poor, but It's amazing it wasn't even worse. From my reading, except for the front fenders and hood, Fisher Body painted the cars and then sent them over to Chevrolet for final assembly. This is born out by pictures that show painted 1st generation Chevy IIs on the Chevrolet assembly line without front end body work. Even the rear quarter emblems were installed. After the engines and other front end installations, Chevrolet painted and installed the fenders and hood. If the front fenders and hoods were painted by Chevrolet and not Fisher Body, it's amazing they match as well as they do.

Most 1st gen owners are aware of the dash/glove box door color shade mismatches. It was believed that Fisher Body painted the dash boards, but the glove box doors were either painted at a different time, or by Chevrolet. In any event, most 1st generation glove box doors are a different shade of the dash board color. Love the 60's!

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did notice the color on my original paint car had the front sheet metal just a slight shade difference to the rest of the car. Thank you CdnL79 for the factory paint process.

·
Super Moderator
4,012 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but you're right about the glove box doors. A seller had a bunch of them, maybe a dozen or so, for sale at a swap meet, and most were blue or turquoise. It was hard to find even two that matched one another for color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts