Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Long time since I've been here, but I'm back! So my latest project has me trying to squeeze 18" wheels up front. I have the CPP zero offset brake kit installed, with about a 1"-1 1/2" drop up front. Stock spindle height. Of course the rears fit perfect, but I still have some clearance issues up front. I could try the baseball bat trick, but I have a cutoff wheel and I was wondering if anyone here has tried the cutoff method. I dont want to cut it too far back to where I cut out the moulding holes. Any suggestions other than buying new wheels? That's going to be my last resort. Will post pics once I get it all done.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if the clearance issue is at the bottom of the fender curl then the fender braces can be removed and new ones made that are about 1" longer... that would flare the fender so to speak.

might be hard to see flare in this image but it's what i did and others have done for clearance problems.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Hey guys! Long time since I've been here, but I'm back! So my latest project has me trying to squeeze 18" wheels up front. I have the CPP zero offset brake kit installed, with about a 1"-1 1/2" drop up front. Stock spindle height. Of course the rears fit perfect, but I still have some clearance issues up front. I could try the baseball bat trick, but I have a cutoff wheel and I was wondering if anyone here has tried the cutoff method. I dont want to cut it too far back to where I cut out the moulding holes. Any suggestions other than buying new wheels? That's going to be my last resort. Will post pics once I get it all done.
i have a 67 with 17`s on front which are close on a first gen if you can fit a 18" wheel i would like to se it:eek:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the clearance issue is at the bottom of the fender curl then the fender braces can be removed and new ones made that are about 1" longer... that would flare the fender so to speak.

might be hard to see flare in this image but it's what i did and others have done for clearance problems.

I can see it a bit. I'll try that, and it seems the clearance is at the top of the inner fender as well. My old 16"s rubbed a little on turns, going over bumps etc. But the 18"s look suweet!

·
Registered
426 Posts
This weekend I was able to unbolt the brace from the fender. Just doing that allowed enough clearance for the parked Nova to turn left to right completely.
That was pretty amazing. So I will not be cutting the fender up front after all.
Unless the alignment produces some odd affect.

It would be neat if another Chevy car used those steel rod braces on the fender and they were actually longer then the 63 Nova's brace. Then I wouldn't have to fabricate new rods from the stock.

So with 17x7s, the wrong tire and the wrong back spacing, I am feeling a little better about my set up. whew!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts