Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long 4 years of storage, I’ve spent the last couple weeks getting my 65 back on the road. After a 80 mile round trip ride to a car show over the weekend, one thing came flooding back that I hated about the car.

It has a universal fit flowmaster exhaust system on it that is loud, resonates horribly at freeway speeds, and just really doesn’t fit well. My car still has the sagged mono leaf that I honestly have no intention of changing because I love the ride height it has.

So this brings me to this post. What is everyone’s favorite exhaust routing? I’m thinking 2” pipe with an x pipe, turbo mufflers exiting out at the rear bumper.

Hopefully you all will provide your opinions.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
oh, my opinions? i love it when people ask them on exhausts, sometimes i tell them anyway...

Flowmasters belong in the trash. thats all.

ok, not all. i love Magnaflow mufflers. think i have had them on my last 3 builds. at least. but really most anything i do is going to be turbo, so any straight through muffler works (magnaflows are straight). but i have a Magnaflow on my daily driver G8 GT (cam w/long tubes, and other bolt on goodies) and it sounds great. not loud, not drowny, but also not quite...if that makes sense.
btw. it has Flowmaster 10s on it when i got it. HORRIBLE. it drowned at every rpm. was loud as all hell. i really did feel like an ******* driving it, even when driving like an old lady.

my Nova has a single turbo. so it will probably get a single Magnaflow or just a resonator with a side exit just before the rear tire.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, my opinions? i love it when people ask them on exhausts, sometimes i tell them anyway...

ok, not all. i love Magnaflow mufflers. think i have had them on my last 3 builds. at least. but really most anything i do is going to be turbo, so any straight through muffler works (magnaflows are straight). but i have a Magnaflow on my daily driver G8 GT (cam w/long tubes, and other bolt on goodies) and it sounds great. not loud, not drowny, but also not quite...if that makes sense.
btw. it has Flowmaster 10s on it when i got it. HORRIBLE. it drowned at every rpm. was loud as all hell. i really did feel like an ******* driving it, even when driving like an old lady.

my Nova has a single turbo. so it will probably get a single Magnaflow or just a resonator with a side exit just before the rear tire.

Single exhaust, eh? ? I’m not against that in the slightest. My car is a respectable cruiser nothing more. My original thought process is because I like the way my neighbors :cough [mustang] cough: sounds. We hit a ton of shows together and his is never annoying.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Depends on what you are after, sound wise and performance wise.

The science behind it is totally interesting to me, and a lot of the science is on the 'net. Exhaust gas velocity, different resonances at different RPM, exhaust pipe length and material and tons of other variables factor in. Clearly, manufacturers that are putting out 400+ HP engines in cars today are doing so more quietly than even a mild SBC with the setup you or many Nova owners have. They're putting a lot of engineering into the resonators, and specifically designing them to their particular engine. Tough for most car enthusiasts to do that.

Why not hit a few car shows/donut drive-ins, and find a similar car with a sound you like? Probably the easiest way to hear what you want before you buy.

An L-79 with factory exhaust has a good sound. I wonder if factory style dual exhaust for one of those restricts flow horribly, at least any more than the original ram's horn manifolds. Maybe not the best flow, but you might get your money's worth out of your sound system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on what you are after, sound wise and performance wise.

The science behind it is totally interesting to me, and a lot of the science is on the 'net. Exhaust gas velocity, different resonances at different RPM, exhaust pipe length and material and tons of other variables factor in. Clearly, manufacturers that are putting out 400+ HP engines in cars today are doing so more quietly than even a mild SBC with the setup you or many Nova owners have. They're putting a lot of engineering into the resonators, and specifically designing them to their particular engine. Tough for most car enthusiasts to do that.

Why not hit a few car shows/donut drive-ins, and find a similar car with a sound you like? Probably the easiest way to hear what you want before you buy.

An L-79 with factory exhaust has a good sound. I wonder if factory style dual exhaust for one of those restricts flow horribly, at least any more than the original ram's horn manifolds. Maybe not the best flow, but you might get your money's worth out of your sound system.

I’m pretty set on turbos with an x pipe. I’m more interested in seeing how other people have routed the exhaust over the rear axle and around the fuel tank. I’m not looking for performance more so quite and drone free.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't have a photo but I can take one tonight if you are interested. Here is what I did, and I was very specific and deliberate about it. I wanted it to breathe well, but I HATE drone. I wanted it loud when you mash the throttle, but not ridiculous the rest of the time. It turned out exactly what I wanted:

-2.5" from the fenderwell headers to back bumper. The reason I went to the back bumper is because I was paranoid of drone. It has kind of the silly early 60's look, I would have preferred turndowns behind the rear tire, but like I say, I wanted a gaurantee of zero drone.

-Since I have the fenderwells, I couldn't really do an X-pipe without making it nearly impossible to take out my 4 speed. So we went with an H-pipe. Again, this was done primarily to keep the drone away. The gains from an H-pipe to an X-pipe are fairly negligible whenever tested so I didn't really care.

-Pipe alignment was run away from future sub-frame connectors

-Magnaflow mufflers were used and I couldn't be happier. Fairly quiet at idle, and zero drone. They bark pretty good at WOT

·
Registered
406 Posts

Love the G8s! I have an 06 GTO, you coming to Holden Run in Vegas this year?

Back on topic: I also really like Magnaflows. I have them on my GTO and my dad has them on his 300C. I plan on putting them on my 64 Nova as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Love the G8s! I have an 06 GTO, you coming to Holden Run in Vegas this year?

Back on topic: I also really like Magnaflows. I have them on my GTO and my dad has them on his 300C. I plan on putting them on my 64 Nova as well.
thanks. i like the GTO's also. ended up wanting a sedan (that i really have no need for).

love that car. simple sedan, but makes the right noise, and power...sure it gets 10mpg on my drive, its 8miles so who cares.
didnt know about a Holden Run. maybe i will look into it.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Funny the thread should turn to the G8, and the sound it makes. Great sound, and not crazy loud for what it pumps out. I think this is one of the cars that uses a helmholtz chamber in the resonator. Different lengths of exhaust pipe in the resonator cancel out sound at different rpm. I've been waiting to find a wrecked one to open the resonator and see what it looked like inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts